#1 maccers

maccers

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:05 PM

I may need to replace the tie rod bushes, having a poke around pre-mot and noticed the soft rubber inner bush is really squashed up and distorted. I dont even know if this is an MOT issue but looks a bit dodgy. I have the MiniSpares hard poly / rubber kit with the uprated rods. 

Question is, I had the suspension and camber/castor etc set up some time back (its probably due it again) by replacing the bushes if needed will this throw anything out? Perhaps by the inner rubber bush already being so compressed its now out anyway?

Both sides are pretty much the same. The outer purple harder one appears to be ok. 

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,940 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:07 PM

They are not compressed much if fitting as they are tightened to a stop so as you have the harder on the out side the inner will compress more. Changing will not have much effect on the settings.

#3 maccers

maccers

• Members
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:28 PM

Ok, good to know, the inner rubber one is really distorted. I'll have a closer look very soon. 

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,920 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:25 AM

Ideally, you'd have another alignment done and perhaps before doing that, also replace the Lower Arm Rubbers too, however, in all likelyhood, you'd be OK with just replacing them.

#5 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,412 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:48 AM

As the bushes aren't solid, the geometry will change a bit anyway as you drive. New bushes will give as much, the old ones have lost the elasticity to recover.

As long as the handling feels at least as good and your tyres don't start to wear unevenly...

#6 maccers

maccers

• Members
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:30 AM

And thats kind of how I noticed, as my two front tyres are on the wear bars just, and the rears are close, so getting a new set all round. Was gonna offer me old ones for anyone wanting to save theirs for a track day or even just to get a car rolling round the yard etc... Yokohama A032R  165/70/10 soft year 2014.

#7 maccers

maccers

• Members
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:55 AM

Ideally, you'd have another alignment done and perhaps before doing that, also replace the Lower Arm Rubbers too, however, in all likelyhood, you'd be OK with just replacing them.

Yep, I used the Minispares top hat bushes that are offset as using the adjustable camber lower arms too, and had all this set up along with rear camber etc. So it was trying to avoid any re-work, but in all honesty, its probably due a suspension check/tune up anyway with all the adjustable bits that can be un-adjusted over time and stuff like the front bushes and other bits wearing out. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users