11 replies to this topic

#1 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 04:23 PM

Hi guys, changed my verto clutch, heard many a person say there is no adjustment they are self adjusting there is the throw out done with the bolt on next to the arm. 

My clutch is too "agressive" is how id describe it, you lift the pedal say an inch there is no engagement, then about 1/2" travel the clutch goes from bite to fully engaged. Meaning its nearly always a wheel spin pull off. 

Any idea? Kit used was minispares 

GCK151MS

https://www.minispar...|Back to search

Perfectly drivable. No clutch slip just first time it always catches me out and nearly stalls. 

My haynes manual is for my year of car but only shows pre Verto... and steps i would have missed.... 

#2 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 04:49 PM

There is no adjustment on a verto clutch, not that it’s automatic there just isn’t any in the design.

First thing I’d check, if you’re convinced something is wrong, is the hydraulics. If that’s ok pull the wok off and check the release bearing and top hat are all present and correct.

#3 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 05:04 PM

There is no adjustment on a verto clutch, not that it’s automatic there just isn’t any in the design.

First thing I’d check, if you’re convinced something is wrong, is the hydraulics. If that’s ok pull the wok off and check the release bearing and top hat are all present and correct.

New hat, release bearing and retaining o ring. Hydraulics were never touched just unbolted and put to the side. 

Changed the pressure plate / diaphram re used the tapered flange and flywheel. 

What happened was i lost a clutch strap which ate the inside of my housing. Cleared all the ally swarf out 

Edited by phillrulz, 11 June 2019 - 05:06 PM.

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 11 June 2019 - 05:10 PM

Have you set up the throw out clearances?

My estate clutch is like this... I just live with it as it runs well I just adapted to the feel of the pedal

#5 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 05:30 PM

My estate clutch is like this... I just live with it as it runs well I just adapted to the feel of the pedal

Thats the nut where the arm actuates isnt it? Havent touched it as my haynes manual only shows pre verto. 

If i remember, its something like you measure the gap from the skirt of the bolt to the housing ? 

#6 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:18 PM

Thats the nut where the arm actuates isnt it? Havent touched it as my haynes manual only shows pre verto.

If i remember, its something like you measure the gap from the skirt of the bolt to the housing ?

That's the one, yes you are correct that you measure between the flange of the nut and the wok. Measurement is 6.5 mm

#7 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:53 PM

That's the one, yes you are correct that you measure between the flange of the nut and the wok. Measurement is 6.5 mm

Getting around 7mm , no way ill get a pair of calipers in so thats with a tape measure by eye.

Video shows the smooth travel 

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 11 June 2019 - 08:42 PM

Use an Allen key or a bolt head to set the distance.

#9 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:26 PM

So just stick an allen key between the bolt and the wok, but that bolt doesnt effect the clutch engagement does it? thought it just saved overloadingf bearings 

#10 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,900 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:39 PM

So just stick an allen key between the bolt and the wok, but that bolt doesnt effect the clutch engagement does it? thought it just saved overloadingf bearings 

yep and that is the only adjustment there is on the Verto.

should be covered in the supplement section of your Haynes. depending on the years on the front try chapter 14)

#11 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:44 PM

should be covered in the supplement section of your Haynes. depending on the years on the front try chapter 14)

Yup, just procedure was for pre verto, has the 6.5mm measurement. Any ideas whauts causing the very little feather in distance ? 

#12 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,900 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:45 PM

Yup, just procedure was for pre verto, has the 6.5mm measurement. Any ideas whauts causing the very little feather in distance ? 

the pre verto is around chapter 3.

could just be as it is new.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users