#226 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 08:59 AM

Hi all.

This mini is now complete and ready to go home.

Just a quick reminder of how it looked when it arrives.

u0Mrn9m.jpg

And now in its new guise.

xfnDTkt.jpg

Many thanks to all those who followed and I wish the owner a happy ownership and hope he has lots of fun with it.

Cheers

Ben

#227 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 09:02 AM

Ben, when you do restorations like this, how do you paint / protect the box sections / seams, all the places you can't see and get to, A pillars etc. so that it won't all rust away again ?

#228 the.stroker

the.stroker

TMF Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts
  • Name: Dan

Posted 09 October 2020 - 09:05 AM

Hi all.

This mini is now complete and ready to go home.

Just a quick reminder of how it looked when it arrives.

u0Mrn9m.jpg

And now in its new guise.

xfnDTkt.jpg

Many thanks to all those who followed and I wish the owner a happy ownership and hope he has lots of fun with it.

Cheers

Ben

Absolutely stunning, what a transformation.......

#229 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 09:21 AM

Ben, when you do restorations like this, how do you paint / protect the box sections / seams, all the places you can't see and get to, A pillars etc. so that it won't all rust away again ?

Usually, I protect the box second as I build them up using zinc and on completion, copius amounts of wax.

On major restorations like the advantage I'm doing now, I epoxy prime all of the new panels inside before they are fitted so everywhere is coated.

This car didn't have much in the way of panels changed so I checked all the box sections and cavities with a boroscope and once it was found to be clean., it was filled with cavity wax.

Cheers

Ben

#230 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 09:36 AM

When you paint before welding, surely the paint gets burnt away once welded ? leaving bare metal.

#231 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 09:45 AM

When you paint before welding, surely the paint gets burnt away once welded ? leaving bare metal.

I try to spot weld as much as possible and this method is far less destructive than mig plug welding.

Where I do need to mig, I apply the paint and then do everything I can to coat any areas where the paint will have burnt off afterwards.

There is only so much you can reasonably do and it would be wrong to assume the car will never rust again. It's all about keeping it away for as long as possible.

I said elsewhere about the blaze 1275GT that I restored several years ago using this method and it has been back recently for other work which gave me the opportunity to check my previous work to see how it was holding up.

there was no evidence of rust anywhere and everything was as clean as the day it was done.

bare in mind this car lives out doors and had done more than 30,000 miles since the first lot of work so it is used.

Hope that answers your question

Cheers

Ben

#232 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 09:59 AM

Cheers Ben, 

#233 gaspen

gaspen

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 11:57 AM

I try to spot weld as much as possible and this method is far less destructive than mig plug welding.

Where I do need to mig, I apply the paint and then do everything I can to coat any areas where the paint will have burnt off afterwards.

There is only so much you can reasonably do and it would be wrong to assume the car will never rust again. It's all about keeping it away for as long as possible.

I said elsewhere about the blaze 1275GT that I restored several years ago using this method and it has been back recently for other work which gave me the opportunity to check my previous work to see how it was holding up.

there was no evidence of rust anywhere and everything was as clean as the day it was done.

bare in mind this car lives out doors and had done more than 30,000 miles since the first lot of work so it is used.

Cheers

Ben

Hello Ben

Did you ever tired spot-weldable seam sealers ? 

https://www.vehicle-...ms-9320-sf.html

#234 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 10:31 PM

Cheers

Ben

Hello Ben

Did you ever tired spot-weldable seam sealers ? 

https://www.vehicle-...ms-9320-sf.html

No. I've not used anything like that before.

Cheers.

Ben

#235 PACINO

PACINO

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 08:49 PM

Fantastic job! I just saw this whole post. Thanks for explaining and showing it in photos.

Regards, Luis

#236 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 09:33 PM

Fantastic job! I just saw this whole post. Thanks for explaining and showing it in photos.

Regards, Luis

Thanks for reading and  for the compliament.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Cheers

Ben

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users