5 replies to this topic

#1 Minigirl

Minigirl

With Steve

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:26 PM

Hi, I have a rust hole appearing to the right of the battery tray next to the wheel arch. Can this be patched or so I need a full new panel fitted?

Image attached

Thanks

Attached Files

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,898 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:30 PM

You can buy repair panels for the boot floor sides but to be honest some 0.9mm steel sheet cut to size is just as easy.

If I was you I would have a good look on the underside to see the full extent of the rust. There will be more.

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:54 PM

You can buy repair panels for the boot floor sides but to be honest some 0.9mm steel sheet cut to size is just as easy.

If I was you I would have a good look on the underside to see the full extent of the rust. There will be more.

I agree that welding in a piece of repair steel would be quickest.

I will stress to check for rust on every section of the boot floor, heel board and valvance. If needed id remove the subframe to do the job properly.

The white car in my signature is just back on the road after 18 months of laying untouched then 7 months welding... it went from patching a sill to
2 sills,
one door step(repair a section on the other)
One heel board end
Patches to the floor(cut from floor repair panels if needed)
Then remake the closing plates in the bins...
Full respray.

After all that, some fresh petrol down the carb throat, a charged battery and it fired first turn and hasn't missed a beat in 100 miles so far ?

Edited by cal844, 13 June 2019 - 09:58 PM.

#4 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:32 PM

I have just had to do exactly that when I found a hole in that position. However, when I started cutting it away I found that it needed more new metal than at first glance. As 'Sonikk'says, do a very thorough check  of the floor.

#5 Minigirl

Minigirl

With Steve

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 02:41 PM

Thanks will have a good look. I got a rear boot repair section during the minisport sale and its sat for two years and now that hole appeard which the repair panel doesn't cover lol..

I was told instead of welding the panel in to bond it instead with panel bond. At bodyshops now they use high strength bond to bond panels onto cars like BMWs instead of welding / spot welding them on. They said it will reduce the chance of weld rusting, stops you blowing through the thin metal and stops the metal warping due to heat when welding it.

Anyone used this on a mini?

#6 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,898 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 14 June 2019 - 03:23 PM

Do not bond it on. A mini is designed to be constructed as a monocoque shell using welding, not bonding with adhesives.

And yes I fully understand MODERN cars can be built using the latest adhesives but that’s what they are designed to be. Also you are within 300mm of a structural Mounting point and it must be welded and seam welded at that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users