6 replies to this topic

#1 hscuffil95

hscuffil95

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 02:47 PM

Hi all, I have just purchased my first mini its a 1998 Rover Mini Cooper Sport with the factory 13" wheels, I'm wanting to give it more of a classic look and have always wanted 10" minilites or similar wheels. I'm not very knowledgeable on how gear ratios and all that works, obviously putting 10" wheels will up my rpm's but hamper my top speed, I'm just hoping to find someone who could tell me how much it will change the rpm's and if its even possible to fit 10" wheels over my factory disc brakes, any info would be greatly appreciated!

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 14 June 2019 - 03:38 PM

you will need to change the discs. like http://www.minispare...~Kits.aspx|Back to shop

then you will need to change the speedo drive parts to suite.

#3 croc7

croc7

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:10 PM

Before you mount 10” wheels/tires, you might want to consider how they will look under those flares.

#4 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,641 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:13 PM

Sportspack and tens can work, I’ve done it. Wouldn’t worry about the speedo, it’ll over read not under, if I’m doubt speedo app on your phone will help relearn where the various speed points on the gauge are. Enjoy!

#5 Chris Donaldson

Chris Donaldson

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Local Club: ISMOC

Posted 14 June 2019 - 07:23 PM

Sportspack and tens can work, I’ve done it.

Any pics? Sounds interesting.

#6 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 14 June 2019 - 11:22 PM

There is virtually no difference in gearing between a 13" and a 10" wheel. The 10" uses a better higher-profile tyre (145/80 x 10 or 165/70 x 10 as opposed to a 175/50 x 13).

To change to 10" wheels you need a new set of 7.5" discs, a pair of Cooper 'S' callipers and a pair of drive flanges. Mini Spares do a good conversion kit.

With 10" wheels, if you fit the 4.5" x 10" ST-Spec Minilites, you don't actually need wheel arch extensions, although if you have had the 13" wheels the wheel arches will have been rebated to allow for the very wide tyres. You could change to the very attractive narrow Group 2 arches which allow a chrome trim strip to be run all the way from front to back over the arch extensions. That looks really good. You can then fit 5" x 10" wheels with 165/70 x 10 tyres.

Once you have fitted 10" wheels you will be pleased at the improvement in overall ride & handling and with the improved road-holding in the wet. 

#7 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 07:29 PM

Remember though, if you loose the sportspack arches, you will need to consider what you are going to do about the wings and A panels as these will have been chopped considerably to allow the fitment of the arches and wheels.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users