24 replies to this topic

#16 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 05:27 AM

Thanks, yes I will replace, who sells the best quality ones, I’ve been through various different ones!

I’ve only ever used minispares one. Purely for convenience when doing other orders so I can’t say that I picked them specifically for quality but I’ve never had one fail or jam in 3 years

#17 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 05:50 PM

So I replaced my sticking Thermostat with one from Minimine, 82 degree one. I tested it before I fitted it, and it opens at 82, but not very far.

I took it for a run and it gets hotter than normal, and there's pressure in the top hose when I stop, which I believe must mean the water is not getting through the thermostat?

#18 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 10:28 PM

Second question, is the thermostat meant to completely open at 82, or whatever rating it is designed?

#19 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 05:09 PM

my new theory is that the temp gauge has had it, as the temp on the block is around 80-82 (with laser thermometer), but the gauge is reading just below hot. 

Also I had the new electric fan set to come on at a too low temp, thus it was coming on, cooling the engine too early and not allowing the thermostat to open.

#20 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 05:35 PM

So I replaced my sticking Thermostat with one from Minimine, 82 degree one. I tested it before I fitted it, and it opens at 82, but not very far.

I took it for a run and it gets hotter than normal, and there's pressure in the top hose when I stop, which I believe must mean the water is not getting through the thermostat?

pressure in top hose ? What do you mean the whole system will pressureise 

Second question, is the thermostat meant to completely open at 82, or whatever rating it is designed?

Not sure really, id guess it should start to open as to how much travel it has no idea. Also i have a "high flow" 6 blade metal fan your welcome to if you want to grab it from me. You will most likely need a spacer. 

#21 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 05:39 PM

I mean the top hose is solid, so presume there's no water going through the thermostat even when boiling hot, but since I made that post, I'm not sure gauge is working correctly!

Not sure really, id guess it should start to open as to how much travel it has no idea. Also i have a "high flow" 6 blade metal fan your welcome to if you want to grab it from me. You will most likely need a spacer. 

#22 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 05:43 PM

I mean the top hose is solid, so presume there's no water going through the thermostat even when boiling hot, but since I made that post, I'm not sure gauge is working correctly!

It will get hard. The WHOLE system including top hose and radiator pressurise which is why you never take the cap off a hot engine unless you want to get sprayed with boiling water. Increasing the pressure means water stay liquid to a higher tempreture. By releaving pressure ( opening the rad cap) the water on the block will flash to steam and expand spraying the water out. 

Water at 150 Bar will stay liquid over 360C  So increasing the pressure to the system to just over 1bar like the rad cap ( 15 psi) means it will stay liquid over 100C 

Water in a mini rad will boil around 120C

Edited by phillrulz, 09 July 2019 - 05:48 PM.

#23 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 04:23 PM

I fitted a genuine Smiths mechanical Water gauge, on the quick round the block 4 mile test it sits at 80 degrees bang on, raising to 85ish in traffic, so I had a faulty gauge / sender! I went thru 3 senders last year, must be the 53 year old electric gauge! 

#24 62S

62S

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Local Club: You must be joking!

Posted 18 July 2019 - 07:24 AM

Depends on the age of your car but modern senders cause the temperature garage read higher than the originals!

#25 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 12:56 PM

It is 1966, I got the older type, with the red plastic, but it still misread. So I put in an older one I had, and it worked for a while, until recently.

Anyway I have the gold standard now, shouldn't be any issues!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users