16 replies to this topic

#16 hungdynasty

hungdynasty

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 01:33 PM

@ nasty - that is brilliant - did you bend the scuttle (i think that's what it's called) at all ? it's pretty thin.  You should get a lot of leverage out of that, but you did it all yourself, pulling on the bar and putting the collets back in with your other hand - wow you are very coordinated !

@grizzler - that Jamal guy is the dude - I watched all his flywheel pulling videos and they were such a help - lifesaver :)

Hm...actually i put the other end of bar underarm, so I just kind of used my body weight to push the spring down and I had probably one and a half hands to work on the collets, it was not hard. And my girlfriend did take a video of my work but file is too large to upload here.

#17 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:21 AM

I used to put extra strong (good for 7,000 RPM) valve springs on peoples Minis.

Somewhere I have a short rod on a piece of wire that fits through the spark-plug hole to hold the valve up with the piston near TDC.

My father came back from the war with some useless foreign size combination spanners;  one had a burst ring that I cut off and put an L shaped bend in, so that with the rocker pulled to one side, it slipped under the rocker shaft and the open end pressed on the valve cap.

I fished the collets out with a horse-shoe magnet and put them back, stuck with a dab of grease in the jaws of a clothes peg

It took very little longer to do valves 2 to 7 than it did to do 1 and 8.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users