#1 Matt Zane

Matt Zane

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 01:17 PM

Hello Guys,

I've hit a problem with the car. I had intended to replace the springs on the car, and fit hi-lo's and new shocks. 

I've done the rear, but I've hit a problem with the front springs, both of the threads in the front springs have been stripped. 

The car is running on the original 1974 springs, and I'm guessing that someone has had a go at replacing these at some point in the past, and has buggered them up. 

Does anyone have any advise about how to go about tackling this? Will I need to drop the subframe?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,

Matt

#2 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 01:21 PM

You can get them out without a compressor especially of they are worn.
You will need to remove the top arms which will enable you to remove the trumpet from the cone and then turn the cone on its side and work it out. Obviously the replacement cones will have new threads so you can use the compressor to install them with ease.
Definitely no reason to remove the subframe
Cheers
Ben

#3 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 16 June 2019 - 01:52 PM

Since you are going to be fitting Hi-Lo's (a great idea) you can sacrifice the alloy trumpet in order to remove the cone spring.

Drill some holes through the alloy trumpet, then smash it with a club hammer and chisel. You will find that it breaks up quite easily once drilled.

Then after you remove the top arm down stop, which is screwed to the sub-frame, it is easy to remove the top arm followed by the debris from the trumpet followed by the spring cone. You may need to use a bit of brute force and big screwdrivers to get the cone free, but it will come out.

#4 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 01:53 PM

Are you sure the threads are worn?  Are you trying to use the imperial tool on metric threaded springs?

#5 Matt Zane

Matt Zane

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 02:48 PM

Are you sure the threads are worn?  Are you trying to use the imperial tool on metric threaded springs?

I had suspected that, but i've tried both bars.  The imperial starts to thread, but only a turn before jumping out. 

#6 Matt Zane

Matt Zane

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 02:49 PM

Since you are going to be fitting Hi-Lo's (a great idea) you can sacrifice the alloy trumpet in order to remove the cone spring.

Drill some holes through the alloy trumpet, then smash it with a club hammer and chisel. You will find that it breaks up quite easily once drilled.

Then after you remove the top arm down stop, which is screwed to the sub-frame, it is easy to remove the top arm followed by the debris from the trumpet followed by the spring cone. You may need to use a bit of brute force and big screwdrivers to get the cone free, but it will come out.

Thanks Cooperman! I'll use the nuclear option ! I'll let you know how I get on!

Cheers!

Matt

#7 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 03:15 PM

I had suspected that, but i've tried both bars.  The imperial starts to thread, but only a turn before jumping out. 

The metric one can be hard to get started and make you think it's the smaller imperial one when it isn't.

#8 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 04:30 PM

With the car on it wheels unscrew and remove the top arm rebound buffer.

Remove the large nut on the rear of the top arm pin and then remove the two 1/4 UNF bolts holding the diamond shaped pin retaining plate on the front of the pin. One has a captive nut and one is a standard nut you’ll has to scrap a load of dirt out to find.

Gently lever between the body and the pin to start it sliding to the front of the car.

Once there’s a suitable gap between the subframe tower and the pin retaining plate start levering between the plate and subframe. Once the rear of the pin has moved through the thickness of the subframe you’ll get a clunk as the spring pushes the back of the arm down.

At this point you should be able to slide the pin out the rest of the way fairly easily.

Now you can wriggle the knuckle joint out of the top arm and pull the trumpet and spring out.

I’ve done this more times than I care to remember when cones have been damaged. Just make sure your fingers aren’t anywhere near the top arm when the pin pulls through.

Edited by Tupers, 16 June 2019 - 04:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users