#1 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 17 June 2019 - 06:50 PM

Realised today the master cylinder I bought online ages ago is the wrong one, only opened it today

TKOkYpp.jpg

The one I took off has a switch on it, the one sold by minispares doesn't come with the switch anymore and is over £100.

dQ0kAfP.jpg

Could I use the yellow tag cylinder that's 30 quid cheaper?

Thanks

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 17 June 2019 - 06:58 PM

The black tag cylinder is NLA, use the yellow tag cylinder and you'll also need the brake pipes to go from the cylinder to the FAMwtf valve

Edited by cal844, 17 June 2019 - 06:58 PM.

#3 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

• Members
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:02 PM

The black tag cylinder is NLA, use the yellow tag cylinder and you'll also need the brake pipes to go from the cylinder to the FAMwtf valve

Thanks mate. Is it 'plumbed in the same as the black tag?

#4 Norris73

Norris73

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:17 PM

Black tag is plumbed in opposite to the yellow tag I believe. With the Yellow tag the top circuit is the front brakes (10mm nut), the rear is bottom outlet on the cylinder (12mm nut).

Minispares do the pipe work conversion kit.

Instructions for fitting/conversion in this document - https://www.minimani...linder___GMC227

Edited by Norris73, 17 June 2019 - 07:20 PM.

#5 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

• Members
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:37 PM

Black tag is plumbed in opposite to the yellow tag I believe. With the Yellow tag the top circuit is the front brakes (10mm nut), the rear is bottom outlet on the cylinder (12mm nut).

Minispares do the pipe work conversion kit.

Instructions for fitting/conversion in this document - https://www.minimani...linder___GMC227

Thanks for the info. Something I read on the minispares site made me think it was different. I ordered a brake pipe kit last weekend that mentioned it fitted the yellow tag cylinder, at the time I didn't realise I had the wrong master haha

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:11 PM

The Black / Green Tag Cylinder are available again if you wanted to keep it original-ish;-

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

In regards to the switch - that set up I found never worked. I plug the switch hole on them and fit a cap from the Yellow Tag.

If you do go the Yellow Tag route, you also should change the Rear Wheel Cylinders to 11/16" as the Yellow Tag has a Stepped Bore and so the Balance between front & Rear Brakes is upset.

#7 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

• Members
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:23 PM

I have new back plate assemblies from mini sport, not really sure what size the cylinders are. I'll have to have a look

#8 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:33 PM

The Black / Green Tag Cylinder are available again if you wanted to keep it original-ish;-

In regards to the switch - that set up I found never worked. I plug the switch hole on them and fit a cap from the Yellow Tag.

If you do go the Yellow Tag route, you also should change the Rear Wheel Cylinders to 11/16" as the Yellow Tag has a Stepped Bore and so the Balance between front & Rear Brakes is upset.

Looks like I stand corrected, my apologies folks, the last time I looked the black tag was NLA

#9 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:26 PM

Looks like I stand corrected, my apologies folks, the last time I looked the black tag was NLA

They come and go. Yes, there were unavailable there for about 18 months.

The company who makes them has closed and opened a few times, as well as being passed on through a few different sets of hands along the way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users