Photo
- - - - -

Problems With Fan Thermo Switch

Best Answer bikewiz , 19 June 2019 - 11:27 AM

Mahle do a good range of different on/off ranges, if you type "TSW" into the search box of this website:

https://catalog.mahl...u/product.xhtml

Be careful as it will be a combination of M14 and M22 fittings!

That's what I was looking for. From that list I found it cross references with a Saab switch which are readily available over here for $8.50/6.75 GBP

Thanks for that.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bikewiz

bikewiz

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Local Club: NEMO

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:53 PM

So in 6 years I'm on my 3rd thread-in auxiliary fan thermo switch C-ARA4443  the one in the car appears to have given out again. I mean it's a simple screw in 22mm x 1.5 with 2 spade connectors. So I spent a bunch of time looking for a different brand but most are listed by the make of car they fit not by temp, thread type, or connector. Anyone have a cross reference fit for a 2 spade connector, 22mm x 1.5, 92 degrees on 82 degrees off thermo switch? I think maybe a Volkswagen type fits but can't find all of the specs for them.

#2 Pigeonto

Pigeonto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: ISMOC

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:37 AM

I think I trawled through the ebay listed ones checking the rating. A pain but I got there in the end

That seems a long way to drop ?

I'm not sure what the original spec was but it seems the fan would be on forever, only my initial thought, as I say, not sure what they tend to be and I don't know how efficient your fan is.

I use a 95/90 with that same thread but I wouldn't do so in the bottom of the rad as per standard fitment, I think that's in the wrong place, mine's at the top of the engine tho I must say I never let it cut in, I always switch it on before that. It's just a safety net if I happen to not look at the ( Capilliary) guage.

#3 smurfomatic

smurfomatic

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:50 AM

Mahle do a good range of different on/off ranges, if you type "TSW" into the search box of this website:

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:04 AM

Just wire the fan to a switch on the dash?

#5 Aria Aradhea

Aria Aradhea

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Local Club: Jakarta Morris Club

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:48 AM

My aux fan thermoswitch setup is a little bit different. I believe it is the mod they used in Japan, seeing as my car is a JDM, for older 998cc cars with aircon (later SPI uses the same Rover twist-type switch).

What they did was to cut the radiator bottom hose in half, fit a T-section there and fit a screwed-in thermoswitch. Mine, as fitted, was from a Honda, parts no: 37760-pb2-001 fitted to the 80s Honda Civic and also I believe early Rover 200s(?) and it switch on at 93 degree, switch off at 87. The beauty of this system is that you can adapt the switch to any of your liking, although most probably you'd need to fabricate your own connector.

#6 bikewiz

bikewiz

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Local Club: NEMO

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:27 AM   Best Answer

That's what I was looking for. From that list I found it cross references with a Saab switch which are readily available over here for $8.50/6.75 GBP

Thanks for that.

Edited by bikewiz, 19 June 2019 - 11:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users