16 replies to this topic

#1 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:46 PM

Since I bought our Sidewalk ten years ago I have given her a service when I bring her out of her winter hibernation every year, regardless of mileage covered. She normally covers about 500 miles per year, but has done 800 in the last twelve months. She’s an spi car so no points, but I always change oil, filters, plugs, leads, rotor arm, and every couple of years the vac hoses. I find that I’m removing plugs that look as though they’ve never been used, oil that’s straw coloured and I’m wondering if I’m going overboard. I’m wondering if these parts really need to be changed every year. I’d still make sure I was giving the car a check over of brakes, suspension and all the lube points etc. It’s just whether I need to change all this stuff.

So my question is how often do people service their weekend Minis?

#2 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:58 PM

At the mileage you're doing I wouldn't change anything other than the oil and filter and grease the nipples and just check valve clearances, brakes, plugs, leads, cap, air filter etc and replace if necessary. I'd change the brake and clutch fluid at least every 2 years, maybe less.

#3 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:20 PM

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I think mineral oil is hydroscopic so will absorb moisture.. so best to change that yearly even if the cars done 0 miles as once it’s out of the sealed bottle it starts to absorb moisture from the air.
As for the rest of the stuff I’d personally not bother, give the plugs a quick clean and refit

Keep changing the oil and wait until it starts to run a bit lumpy before doing plugs and stuff and you’ll feel and appreciate it a bit more when it’s all renewed

#4 Broomer

Broomer

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:34 PM

500 miles to a set of plugs :-O.

My classics get fresh oil once a year, neither do much more than 1000 mile.
Don't even bother changing the filter sometimes.

#5 kit352

kit352

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 06:19 AM

Can i have all your old plugs?  It must be costing you a bundle for a car that barely gets driven.

Your way overthinking this. 

Oil should be changed before the winter hibernation and maybe after it.  Old oil can be more corrosive while sitting for long periods of time so fresh oil before storage is ideal.  I change it again later in the season regardless of miles.

Everything else i would just leave.  Just check for cracking and such.

#6 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:23 AM

Wow changing plugs and leads etc every year - mini parts suppliers must love you. 

With your yearly mileage I would just sell the car - only joking. Change engine oil and filter every two years, brake fluid and clutch fluid which is hydroscopic every 2 years and coolant every 3 years.

Plugs every 10 years, leads every 20, air filter every 20. And grease suspension every 5 years.

But mmonthly clean the cobwebs off and ensure the mice are not devouring the plastic and rubber parts.

Edited by Rorf, 20 June 2019 - 07:25 AM.

#7 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:59 AM

Thanks for the responses.  The main reason for the over cautiousness on the electrical front is that the car was a little unreliable for the the first 5 or so years that I had her, and a lot of the issues seemed to stem from dubious quality ignition parts  not lasting very long; rotor arms, dizzy caps and the likes. I was finding that having had the car laid up over the winter I was having running problems when I came to use her. At the time of purchase I was very much a novice when it came to the oily bits (part of the reason for buying in the first place). Anyway I seem to have cracked the cars reliability issues over the years, ignoring a coolant sensor issue last year, and feel myself that my regime is over the top.  

I also agree with you all on my mileage but I lost my storage recently and access to the car is more limited, but I have already clocked up more mileage in 2019 than I did in the two years previous, which I have no doubt is also helping the reliability.

#8 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,916 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:45 AM

Poor running after a layup may just be the fuel .. the ethanol content in unleaded means it "Goes off" quicker .. but higher octane, ie Shell V-Power, doesn't as it contains less or no ethanol. (Ethanol is also bad for some rubber like hoses, seals, etc). Plus should last 20K or more.

As you mileage is low, the cost might be negligible .. so might be worth trying once your tank is low and before the next lay-up.

I don't think mineral oil is hydroscopic .. so that isn't why you change it .. but it can build up the acidity if left too long.

What is hydroscopic is the brake fluid so change that ever couple of years or more often if the car is stored in damp conditions ..

#9 hhhh

hhhh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 03:57 PM

Unless you're viewing under the surface of water, the word you want is "hygroscopic."

Edited by hhhh, 20 June 2019 - 03:57 PM.

#10 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,916 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 20 June 2019 - 04:56 PM

Copied from the earlier poster! :-)

It absorbs moisture anyway ..

#11 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 01:36 AM

Preventative maintenance is one way of looking after your car, but you can also 'listen' to it.  Oil every 5000kms or sooner if you want your engine to last even longer, but at that annual mileage your car will last a very long time.  These mini engines are very tough, with the pushrods and internal cam.  You will probably notice that the gearbox feels 'notchy' if the oil is losing it's properties and the tappets will 'ring' out a bit more too. 

Once you notice any start up difficulties it's time to check the plugs - if the car runs good sometimes plugs can last for an amazing amount of time.  I agree with you on the dizzy and leads, sometimes a poor lead and a worn dizzy can make starting tough.  You want to regularly check your battery voltage too as the mini alternator is pretty weak.

#12 BaronVonchesto

BaronVonchesto

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 04:53 AM

all the advice i've read on these forums tells me that mineral oil should be changed every 6 months regardless of whether you've done the 3k miles (5k km) or not. Of course if you've done 3k miles then you must change the oil.

remember the mini shares the engine oil with the gearbox - thats the one that you want nice clean, viscous oil for.

#13 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 05:05 AM

And never mind saving the environment - ha ha

#14 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 21 June 2019 - 06:37 AM

I ran Castrol R in my race engine.

I built it to the maximum tolerances and it burnt so much that by the end of the season, just topping it up gave it at least one oil change.

#15 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:20 AM

I never have my roadcar (Focus estate) serviced (now 120k miles on it) - just an oilchange when it's on the ramp for MOT;  the F reg Fiesta I bought new did 250k miles with one service, some oilchanges and three waterpumps.  

Edited by johnR, 21 June 2019 - 09:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users