6 replies to this topic

#1 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:24 PM

Ok so I think i already know the answer to this and I'm just in denial, but just so I'm 100% sure I thought I'd run it by you guys. 

During the past weekend I embarked on a roadtrip to the 24hr Le Mans in my Mini. On the way home I began to notice a noise which I haven't heard before. Whenever I put my foot down in 4th gear I could hear a rough gravelly/grumbley sound. This only happens in 4th gear and only under load. If i dip the clutch in 4th and blip the throttle there is no noise, but it'll resume as soon as it's back under load. I can still hear it when going downhill but it's much quieter. 

So... Is my gearbox knackered? I was planning on taking the car off the road for a couple years after this summer anyway, so will it last a few more months? To say I'm annoyed is an understatement as this is a relatively fresh engine/gearbox build and only has maybe 2500 miles on it. 

#2 ACDodd

ACDodd

Up Into Fourth

• Mini Docs
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:56 AM

Usually failing centre main double roller bearing.

Ac

#3 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:18 PM

Gutted.

Why are you taking it off the road for so long?

#4 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 04:35 PM

Gutted.

Why are you taking it off the road for so long?

Tell me about it... I'm just going to drive it this summer until it dies I think... 

Mostly just lack of funds to keep it going at the moment. I'm also hopefully changing careers and moving to a new area soon. I won't have a garage so the Mini will live in my parents garage until I get one of my own. Just a lot of uncertainty at the moment really. 

#5 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:36 PM

Hope it all works out for you, you've put too much work into that car to not use it.

#6 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:26 PM

Hope it all works out for you, you've put too much work into that car to not use it.

Thanks mate, fingers crossed I'll soon have a lot more pennies to put into her! I'll never get rid, it's merely a hiatus haha

#7 SolarB

SolarB

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:43 AM

Interesting, I have exactly the same symptoms and have been meaning to post the question on here.
I plan on taking the engine out in a couple of weeks or so and fixing the issue, will tell you the answer if I manage to do it before you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users