Photo
- - - - -

Honda Swap Question: Anyone Heard Of A D16W5 Swap? Out Of An Hrv?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 riktanius

riktanius

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 02:49 PM

Just curious if anyone has seen this before. I live in Italy and have been pricing out a Honda swap to go with a cheap shell i found and there arent that many civics or integras here. But there a ton of HRV things, which happen to have a D16, albeit an odd one that most people in the US havent heard of. 

Any idea if this has been done? Any information out there? Ill take some links and directions to start researching... 

Thank you!

#2 Mike L

Mike L

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 03:19 PM

Check this out. I think the external features are the same between D16 and D16w5

http://www.motorrevi...hp?engine_id=82

#3 riktanius

riktanius

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:33 PM

Check this out. I think the external features are the same between D16 and D16w5

http://www.motorrevi...hp?engine_id=82

Thanks!

#4 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:37 PM

All the expense and headaches of a B-series swap but with less power and less aftermarket support.

The cost of the engine will be a lot less but, personally, I don't see the appeal. Even as an 'engineering exercise' the appeal is limited as D-series swaps have been done many times before.

Sorry, bit negative, just not a fan of engine swaps (even though I got halfway through one!).

#5 riktanius

riktanius

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:20 AM

All the expense and headaches of a B-series swap but with less power and less aftermarket support.

The cost of the engine will be a lot less but, personally, I don't see the appeal. Even as an 'engineering exercise' the appeal is limited as D-series swaps have been done many times before.

Sorry, bit negative, just not a fan of engine swaps (even though I got halfway through one!).

Sorry to hear about your issues with engine swaps. 

For me, it has always been a dream. I have loved the shape and handling of the mini my whole life, but having a nice purring vtec under the hood has always been a goal. 

Yeah, the D Series is much less power than the b series, but for the mini, too much power just means spinning tires. I want power enough to play around, and that honda reliability. 

in the end, my questions are more about that particular d engine. It has a different manifold that the D16 that is normally shoved in a mini which might actually be better for a swap. Also, I would get the 4wd version because that is the only engine that has vtec, but then I would have to switch out the transmission for a regular manual. 

#6 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 12:17 PM

For me, it has always been a dream. I have loved the shape and handling of the mini my whole life, but having a nice purring vtec under the hood has always been a goal.

And therein lies the rub.

The reason I stopped my conversion was that you compromise everything Mini. You are nearly always forced to run coil-overs....which are terrible. You will likely want to run larger wheels to allow bigger brakes....which are terrible.

It was just a cumulation of bad engineering all for the sake of a bit more power. It just wasn't worth it. Thankfully I didn't waste much money as I already had the engine and built the subframe myself, I'd have been very annoyed if I'd have bought one of the kits.

The other thing with the D-series engines (I was previously a Honda person, still a fan) - VTEC isn't there to provide more power, it's for fuel economy. The cams are so mild that you could lock it in 'VTEC mode' and drive it normally. It's not like the B-series (or H, K or Y for that matter) where the VTEC cam profile is quite wild (comparatively).

Anyway, that's enough from me. Good luck with the project, I hope I'm wrong and it turns out to be the car you really want. :-)

#7 riktanius

riktanius

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 01:39 PM

And therein lies the rub.

The reason I stopped my conversion was that you compromise everything Mini. You are nearly always forced to run coil-overs....which are terrible. You will likely want to run larger wheels to allow bigger brakes....which are terrible.

It was just a cumulation of bad engineering all for the sake of a bit more power. It just wasn't worth it. Thankfully I didn't waste much money as I already had the engine and built the subframe myself, I'd have been very annoyed if I'd have bought one of the kits.

The other thing with the D-series engines (I was previously a Honda person, still a fan) - VTEC isn't there to provide more power, it's for fuel economy. The cams are so mild that you could lock it in 'VTEC mode' and drive it normally. It's not like the B-series (or H, K or Y for that matter) where the VTEC cam profile is quite wild (comparatively).

Anyway, that's enough from me. Good luck with the project, I hope I'm wrong and it turns out to be the car you really want. :-)

Nah man, all your concerns are real and I appreciate you bringing things up. 

I plan on the KJB Subframe, which uses stock mini suspension. 

My mini will be running 12's anyway, so no need to run bigger tires for brake upgrades. 

I really want it to be as stock and clean as possible, but with a reliable engine underneath. I plan on keeping the body as much as I can keep it stock, and just cut out those inner wings if I REALLY need to. Not even wanting to box the bulkhead, I am prepared to change the intake manifold (which makes me wonder if the CRV/HRV versions are better). 

In the end, I am still thinking d16. I dont even need the vtec. I could clean it up, getting it running right, and if I am craving power the smaller engine leaves me room to turbocharge. 

Now if only I knew if the HRV D16 was going to be a problem. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users