4 replies to this topic

#1 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 06:25 PM

Currently derusting the top of the offside flitch and have removed the fresh air vent connector to clean all around that and give me more room to wield the abrasive disc.

I have struggled to remove the 4 screws that hold the fresh air connector in place and despite several days of spraying Plus gas and copious swearing none of them would budge.

I resorted to removing the screw heads to remove the connector and am left with the remains of the screws rusted into the captive nuts.

I think it highly unlikely that I will be able to drill out the remains of the screw without damaging the captive nuts so would like to remove them and replace them with appropriate sized nuts and bolts through the existing holes when I come to reassemble.

Has anybody ever done this?

I'm assuming that they are welded so can I just knock them off without damaging the flitch?

The captive nuts seem to come adrift easily enough on the heel board will these nuts come off as easily?

#2 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 20 June 2019 - 06:42 PM

I had the same problem. I had the wings off so it was easy to grind off the captive nuts and replace them with stainless nyloc nuts and bolts. If you can only get access to one side, in the past I've used a hole saw to cut out the complete captive nut, then weld a new captive nut to a large washer which can be welded back in.

Don't forget to grind of the zinc coating from the washer first, otherwise when welding you produce some pretty dangerous gas.

#3 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:35 PM

I wouldn't attempt to "knock off" the captive nuts.

Try drilling through the center if the screw with an 1/8th drill. and if it is not central, filing the hole with a needle file.

Once you have got a hole central, drill it out and pass your new bolt through the captive nut and put a nut on the end of it.

#4 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:24 PM

Iirc I replaced those with rivnuts in the past.

#5 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,895 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:52 PM

You could if you so desired fit anchor nuts. The floating variety gives you a degree of flex.

And grind them off, do not chisel them off. The metal will tear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users