Photo
- - - - -

1984 Mini Mayfair 998Cc Rocker Cover And Head

Best Answer Cornwall Matt , 29 June 2019 - 09:50 AM

Thanks all for suggestions, I successfully installed the rocker cover this morning and was able to fill the engine with oil. 

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cornwall Matt

Cornwall Matt

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 05:53 PM

Hi

I have just joined the forum, and am a newbie in the classic mini world. 

My son and I are working at getting a 1984 Mini Mayfair with a 988cc engine back on the road. 

I went to fill the engine with oil today, and as I began to fill it, much of it leaked out the back of the (aftermarket) rocker cover, between the head and the bottom of the cover, as the two don't align correctly. 

The casting number on the head is 17C9, which doesn't even show up on Fig 9.1 of Visard's book. 

Can anybody shed any light on what head I have fitted?

I have attached a photo of the head. 

Regards

Matt

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 22 June 2019 - 06:05 PM

Hi

I have just joined the forum, and am a newbie in the classic mini world. 

My son and I are working at getting a 1984 Mini Mayfair with a 988cc engine back on the road. 

I went to fill the engine with oil today, and as I began to fill it, much of it leaked out the back of the (aftermarket) rocker cover, between the head and the bottom of the cover, as the two don't align correctly. 

The casting number on the head is 17C9, which doesn't even show up on Fig 9.1 of Visard's book. 

Can anybody shed any light on what head I have fitted?

I have attached a photo of the head. 

Regards

Matt

Hi and welcome to TMF.

No picture attached i'm afraid. Most members now use Imgur so try using that platform. It is free.

Its more likely to be a problem with the aftermarket Rocker cover than the actual head.

#3 kit352

kit352

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 06:45 PM

I would think its the gasket or cover.  it should be pretty easy to sort out and identify.  Pull the cover off and really clean the surface of the head.  Look at the cover too,  If its deformed in anyway knock it back or bin it, they are cheap as chips.  Replace gasket with a new one and reinstall with some rtv.

I am pretty sure you arent looking at the right head id.  It most likely is cam4810.  its really hard to see and is on the right side between the rockers.  a little sludge can cover it right up.  I can barely make out the 4810 on mine, can't see the cam part at all.

#4 Cornwall Matt

Cornwall Matt

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 08:01 PM

Thanks Neil

I have a spare head, and the aftermarket rocker cover fits that one, so I think the issue I have is with the head that is currently on the car. 

I am trying to get a photo loaded on Imgur, will add a link when set up. 

Matt

#5 Cornwall Matt

Cornwall Matt

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 08:10 PM

Thanks kit352, yes there is another number cast in to the head which looks to be CAM4810.

#6 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:56 PM

The issue is the rocker cover gasket. Get a new one silicone it on to the rocker cover and don’t over tighten it. There is a knack to it. Took me afew leaks and squashed gaskets to get it right.

#7 Cornwall Matt

Cornwall Matt

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 09:50 AM   Best Answer

Thanks all for suggestions, I successfully installed the rocker cover this morning and was able to fill the engine with oil. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users