5 replies to this topic

#1 smurfomatic

smurfomatic

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 04:59 PM

Does anyone have a recommendation for a company to produce & fit a custom wiring loom? After 8 years of owning the Mini Marcos it's about time the hideous rat's nest of wiring was pulled and replaced with something that is neater and easier to figure out!

It's basically a standard Mini with 3 clock dash, but additions, different switch layout, heated screens etc. I know it's not going to be cheap, but much better than going along as it is and driving me crazy if I need to fix anything...

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 24 June 2019 - 05:21 PM

Wired by Wilson or Autosparks

#3 kit352

kit352

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 05:35 PM

If what you have is working now you could pull it out and make a new one using it as a template. You can make note of changes you want while pulling it out and incorporate those into the new one. You can buy all the oem terminals still so it's a factory finish if that's what you want.

#4 smurfomatic

smurfomatic

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:48 PM

Wired by Wilson or Autosparks

Thanks, will take a look at both of them.

If what you have is working now you could pull it out and make a new one using it as a template. You can make note of changes you want while pulling it out and incorporate those into the new one. You can buy all the oem terminals still so it's a factory finish if that's what you want.

Problem is, the current wiring has loads of bits that don't do anything, switches that have extra wires hanging off them, and generally twenty or so years and five owners' worth of bodges and chopping about. I'm sure it'll be much easier to start from scratch but I'm really not skilled enough to do it myself.

#5 kit352

kit352

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 08:23 AM

I would give it a go.  You can break it down into sections and do smaller sections first. Extra wires that go no where now can be eliminated at the source.  if everything is working now it will be easy enough to duplicate the harness and taking out things that serve no purpose anymore if you want.  

The mini is probably the easiest car you will ever get to do this type of stuff on.  It would be a really good experience and you find you will be quite skilled at it afterwards.  

#6 smurfomatic

smurfomatic

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 01:33 PM

While I agree that it would be good to do it myself, I'm not sure I have the facilities, time or patience to do it properly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users