Photo

Spi A/c One More Time Around

Best Answer masslaw , 27 July 2019 - 01:25 AM

All is well again in my Mini world.  A new thermostat solved the ac problem thanks to members of this group.  Thanks to everyone who gave input. Much appreciated

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 masslaw

masslaw

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Local Club: Victoria Mini Owners Club

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:18 AM

Sorry to dredge this up again but I've been looking at the threads related to the SPI  and have not found anything specific to my issues.  I've a 1996 Rover Mini Cooper with A/C.  The 1996 "year" seems to be a lost soul not quite MPI but in transition...  The A/C diagrams I've seen relate to 1997 and onwards, showing switches and things I don't think I have.  Short story:  1996 Rover Mini Cooper, 24-fuse box, A/C equipped but not cooling.  I took it to an  A/C shop where he said the system was as dry as a f**t.  Some fiddling here and there but finally he pulled out the wire for the compressor clutch and touched it with the positive lead from a nearby battery.  The clutch didn't engage so he declared the compressor dead and departed.  (Only after chasing down another compressor did it dawn on me, duh, that he hadn't also used the ground from the same battery.  Well. to be honest, he said he "didn't do electrical"  I should add that neither do I.)  Today, the replacement compressor arrived and I used a brand new probe-thing to test the clutch.  It engaged.  Curious, I turned to my mini behind me and did the same on its compressor.  The clutch engaged.  AAarrggghhhhh, said Charlie Brown  (Honestly, Im trying to make this short.)  So I thought that if the lead to the clutch was "good" (it engaged) I should check the wire it was connected to.  With the key on, no volts showing at that wire.  With the key on and the  A/C blower and temp dials turned up to max.... no volts.  SO.....since my system was evacuated and now had no pressure, would that fact keep the current from going to the clutch?  I've read that low pressure will not allow the clutch to engage. I know there are other areas to look at, if I can find them (white box under the dash near the hood release seems to be mentioned here and there, and another black box on the other side of the RHD steering column.)  I really don't get along with wiring, nor does it with me so I hope to avoid delving into relays and thermistors and other things foreign.  Oh, and I am in the middle of the Canadian prairies where there hasn't been a mini since I left here 35 years ago with my Mini 1000.  IOW, no shops familiar with the beast.  Sorry if this has been wordy and long-winded.  (What do you expect from a lawyer with an English degree?)

#2 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:38 AM

You are on the right way :-)

"since my system was evacuated and now had no pressure, would that fact keep the current from going to the clutch?  I've read that low pressure will not allow the clutch to engage."

This is on every A/C system.

"The A/C diagrams I've seen relate to 1997 and onwards, showing switches and things I don't think I have."

But you can use this diagramm as an example, i will attach it too. Check the fuse and follow the green line to the main relay pack.Check in and out there.You may easy open the relay box and check for corrosion.

Attached Files

#3 masslaw

masslaw

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 05:38 PM

Thanks, I've printed out that diagram.  By "main realay pack" do you mean the box labeled "relay module housing" on the diagram?  The wire from the compressor clutch is Labeled "BR" which I assume is brown, not green (?)  And the fuse to check....I haven't found (yet) the passenger compartment fusebox, if I have one.  After 24 in the engine compartment it's hard to imagine needing more. The Haynes manual shows the 24-fuse box , but not which one is for the A?C.  none of them are blown.  

I do appreciate your advice.  I'll persevere.

#4 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:09 PM

hi masslaw,

so check it the other way:main relay pack is relay module(435 ) on the diagram. If you have 12 V  at C 173-4 then the fuse is ok.

When ignition is on and you press the air condition switch(789) you should have 12V at the relay pack  C172-1 GW

When you provide earth to C172-3 the compressor clutch relay (218) should work and you hear a clack from the compressor (clutch engages).

Now you should have the system filled up to do some more tests.

#5 masslaw

masslaw

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:30 PM

Thanks, I'll try that.  Will report.

#6 masslaw

masslaw

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 01:06 AM

Alas, nothing comes close to the 1997 diagram.  The relay module in my car (number 8 in the Haynes manual,  bottom illustration on  page P1-4) has two multi-wire plugs on one end.  One plug has 6 wires and none are coloured  as in the diagram.  The second has 7 wires whose colours again don't match any in the diagram.  I count 9 wires in the diagram but I have 13 on my module.  I also cannot see any way to open the relay module nor can I pull the plugs out.  

The first plug has:  yellow, yellow/red, yellow, white, black/white and black.  The second plug has: green/brown, brown/white, brown/red, brown/white, brown, brown, and brown/white.

#7 masslaw

masslaw

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 01:26 AM

And I just went through the Haynes diagrams and there were none even close.  Very frustrating not to be able to find a diagram for this particular

'96 setup.

#8 masslaw

masslaw

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 02:40 AM

I was able to remove the plugs but that doesn't get me anywhere.  The relay module appears to be a sealed unit  There is a yellow tag on the back.  The only identifying thing on it is this : PA66M40K.

#9 masslaw

masslaw

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 02:47 AM

Mini Mania lists this part as a "Classic Mini Single Point Fuel Injection engine management relay"  Is this the relay module on the diagram or should I be looking elsewhere.

#10 masslaw

masslaw

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 03:00 AM

OK, ok.  I said wiring was not my strong suit.  I believe I've been looking at the wrong relay.  The one I want is the air conditioning relay as per the mini spares diagram "Flasher Unit, fusebox and relays.  At least I hope this is the one.

I'm starting over.

#11 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 05:40 AM

May be this will help a bit.

Attached Files

#12 masslaw

masslaw

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 06:43 PM

Thanks.  First one I've seen that shows the ac fuses specifically.  Off the find the relay......

#13 masslaw

masslaw

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 01:15 AM

Some mild success.  I went back to the ac guy and he charged the system.  We got the compressor clutch engaged by using the probe and applying positive to the clutch.  After a while it worked on its own and it was really nice and chilly.  I got to drive around for a while in cool comfort.  But It quit.  So I know the system works.  But I can't keep it running.  The red/black wire on the diagram above does not give any reading when the engine is running and the ac is on. (Although it must have had current earlier)  Again, I can make it work by applying positive to the clutch but that's not practical.  So, I guess it's under the dash to see if there is a set of relays there to check out.  So close.........I did check the fuses in the engine compartment and they were all good but there appeared to be a bit of greenish crud on the contacts that I tried to clean out.  Not sure if there's any way to spray clean them or will I have to take the whole box out and clean it by hand.  

Oh, when driving about with the ac on, there were a couple of times when I heard fan belt screech....I'm assuming that was what it was.  Both belts were there when I opened the bonnet so I don't know what it was reacting to, if anything.

#14 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 09:21 AM

Masslaw, do you have any knowledge regarding which a/c system it is? The info that genpop has linked to is the most common a/c setup that was used in Minis built for export markets (mainly Japan) but there were some other systems that were dealer-fit or after market. The controls for the Japan setup are two rotary wheels set in to the dashboard (passenger side of centre) with no changes to the existing heater controls. Can you post a photo of what you have?

#15 masslaw

masslaw

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 04:01 PM

It is a Japanese import with the two wheel-dials for the ac.  I believe it is all original.  I cannot see, without dismantling, if there are any identifying marks on the compressor but anyway that seems to be working.  Evidently I have an issue with power to the compressor.  Do you think the wiring diagram from the 1997 diagram is correct for my system?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users