6 replies to this topic

#1 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 04:56 PM

OK so a while ago I decided to go careless. Still a great decision and actually saving me money. While we could survive if we had to, my wife would prefer we have a car. Leasing, new or even nearly new aren't on the table. We only really want to be spending 2-3k.

Most cars is this bracket are a gamble, but OK if you check them over properly. The last one I had was a 56 plate Civic that had 143k on the clock but took us to 186k and I got 550 for it when I sold it.

Now thinking just get an old 7 series for around 2-2.5k and take a risk. Servicing I'm fine with, and I know any repairs would be more expensive but I'd be interested to know if anyone else has got an old luxo barge and whether it's a good gamble or dead cert waste of money.

I have found one for 2150 with 144k on the clock, 730d.

Thanks in advance

#2 Broomer

Broomer

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 06:21 PM

Same motor as my old 5 series, good strong engine and ran like a sewing machine.
Just ensure the swirl flappers are removed and it should provide many years of service.
Sold mine at 180k, and was well into 200k when I last looked on MOT history.

#3 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 06:49 PM

There's usually a lot of 7-Series BMWs on eBay, with 'issues' that the current owner has clearly given up on.
They are a very complex car and I'd say their ability to run up bills in 4 figures would be frightening. A magnificent car for sure, but you can't run one without a decent contingency fund. Don't expect Civic reliability!

#4 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:10 PM

i think some of them have brembo callipers on them, and they are problematic and also expensive.

I have a e39, cheaper and easier to fix. If you go for a petrol car, they all seem to do the same mpg, i had a 2500cc in mine originally and now its a 3000cc does exactly the same mpg ! 2.2 struggles a little.  Things to check out for on both cars is rear subframe bushes, touring air suspension as ive found out LOL! dont know much about the diesels.

#5 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:12 PM

look at this one!

i like that a lot !

#6 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:35 PM

A e38 7 series sounds nice, but as above, it could turn into a money pit. I would go for a 730d, m57 engine, and get the swirl flaps removed, egr removed, bigger intercooler. It should be good for around 240bhp. If you want a petrol, a 750IL V12.

#7 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 27 June 2019 - 10:46 PM

I have a 730D SE with 147000 miles and it still drives well. I do most of the servicing myself. I had a gearbox problem over a year ago after changing the plastic gearbox sump. The changes into 2nd were very harsh and I was concerned that it might render the car scrap, but a gearbox re-set at my local BMW independent cost me £45 and it has been fine ever since. An engine low pressure warning last week turned out to be a sensor which cost £10
I recently took the car to Ireland for a week and it was a delight to drive.
I average 35 mpg overall.
I reckon mine is worth about £3200 now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users