21 replies to this topic

#16 ings

ings

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 12:45 PM

when i sum up all the time i spend to ajust this stupid front drums and compair it to the time that you need to switch to disk brakes... you safe a lot of time with disks. :-)

#17 kiwimike01

kiwimike01

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:37 AM

The master cylinder is only a couple of months old as the old one was knackered. I also had to replace the clutch master and slave cylinders because they were shot too.
Would it be recommended to upgrade to a front disc setup or are the drums on the front good enough. I think by the time i rebuild the front drums if I pay double that I could go for disc's. I'm not looking to make more power it's just going to be a weekend cruizer and maybe become a daily driver eventually.

Edited by kiwimike01, 11 July 2019 - 07:40 AM.

#18 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 11 July 2019 - 09:45 AM

You will want discs as a daily driver

#19 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 11:52 AM

If you have the bucks then discs are the way to go, drums up front require regular adjustment and maintenance on the cylinders. And as a daily driver definitely discs required.

#20 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:00 PM

I have drums on my Pickup, all brand new, including the drums themselves, and I confess they are pretty rubbish but I want to keep it original. I can put up with them for now, and no its not a daily driver and has the heady 35 BHP std 998 A+ lump (its one of the last pickups).. as I get older I may relent and whack the S disc setup on it because it has to keep 10" wheels

#21 kiwimike01

kiwimike01

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:04 PM

OK thanks guys I think I will opt for the disc setup. Sorry for all the questions but my local website sells a Cooper s setup which includes everything for a new front hub and disc assembly. I know that would be the easiest option in terms of shopping but is this necessary or can you just buy the disc's and calipers separately for a slightly cheaper price?

Also it's a 75 clubman and just has a normal master cylinder which goes down to a small 3 way valve (attached picture) . Not sure what that is called but is this sufficient enough to power disc's or will the whole system need upgrading?

Attached Files

Edited by kiwimike01, 11 July 2019 - 07:10 PM.

#22 ings

ings

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:05 AM

the minispares disk conversation have at the moment a great discount. :-)

http://minispares.co...px|Back to shop

They work great.

Edited by ings, 12 July 2019 - 09:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users