5 replies to this topic

#1 Bradchap

Bradchap

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 04:02 PM

Hi Help, Ive finished rebuilding my Mini and the wind up window lower seals , Which I bought from Minispares a while back seem too short and are letting masses of water into the doors,

if you look at the attached pics below you can see I can't move the chrome piece along because it would overhang the door?? Whats wrong?

Attached File  N_Chapman_image002_20190701.jpg   49.43K   1 downloads

Attached File  N_Chapman_image003_20190701.jpg   41.62K   1 downloads

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 04 July 2019 - 04:17 PM

Looks fine to me. They are not seals which is why the wonders have dum dum on them to seal that and there are drain holes in the frames.

#3 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 07:27 PM

That's how they are. Thats a repro earky mk3 seal isn't it? Mine are exactly the same. I also have a genuine rover NOS n/s weather seal and the rubber seal is EXACTLY the same length as the minispares repro one. As Nicklouse says, the doors are not meant to remain dry inside, the regulator is sealed to the door, the holes were originally sealed with a sheet of gaffer tape type material, later cars may have had a membrane and the door has water drain holes.

#4 Bradchap

Bradchap

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 07:57 PM

Really, oh wow, are the later ones with the plastic ends any better, you would have thought nearly 50 years of wind up windows someone would have made one the right length??

#5 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 04 July 2019 - 08:13 PM

They are oversize for a reason

#6 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 08:24 PM

The genuine NOS rover one I have I bought in the 80's, it is the later type with plastic ends, the rubber seal is exactly the same length as the minispares repro mk3 ones, thats how they were.
No one noticed this sort of detail when the cars were new, its only when you spend ages rebuilding them you're trying to build better than they left the factory. Things like door gaps were rubbish from the factory, none of this pound coin gap nonsense!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users