#1 Ollie36

Ollie36

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 09:10 AM

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been covered before but can't find another topic with the exact same issue. 

I have a 1994 (used to be a Mayfair, converted to Cooper but I don't think the wiring has been changed) and as I got into the car last night I went to turn the lights on as normal, however they didn't turn on, neither did the sidelights. The rear lights worked fine.  On the dash the high beam indicator is illuminated, but the stalk is in its correct position, again the high beam lights do not work. 

This has occurred once before, I left the car for 12 hours and it worked fine the next day, however when I tested it today it was in the same state.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.  

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,835 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 05 July 2019 - 09:53 AM

Change the switch, then look behind the speedo binnacle for 4 inline fuses, any melting they need changed. Also check the stalk for continuity

#3 Ollie36

Ollie36

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:44 AM

Thanks, I've ordered a new switch so will start there and see how I get on. 

#4 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 5,761 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 09:26 AM

Have you checked the bullet connections behind the grille?

#5 Ollie36

Ollie36

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 10:15 AM

Bullet connections all look ok, switch has been replaced, cabling looks ok. I'm starting to wonder if it could be an earthing issue? If so, would anyone be able to point me in the direction of where they are?

#6 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,835 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 10:50 AM

The earth point is on the triangular strengthener at the bulkhead on the drivers side of a right hand drive car

#7 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,835 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 11:08 AM

The earth point is on the triangular strengthener at the bulkhead on the drivers side of a right hand drive car

#8 luismx123

luismx123

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 12:23 PM

as Cal said above. had the same issue once before. just had to tighten the screw holding the dim/dip box to the body and it worked.

#9 Ollie36

Ollie36

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 12:39 PM

Thanks guys

#10 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,835 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 06:05 PM

Also take a look behind the speedo binnacle for 4 inline fuses that control the lights. My 1994 built car and a spare loom both have these

#11 Ollie36

Ollie36

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 01:23 PM

Update: tightened the fuse box slightly, but no change. Also, now on the dash the full beam light only comes on when the main beam is selected on the switch, whereas before it was illuminated on both the side lights and main beam position. The rear lights have are also now not turning on where they were working fine before.

FURTHER EDIT:
with sidelights on I now have both sidelights working, however passengerside one is very dim, and rear passenger side is on but drivers side not

Edited by Ollie36, 21 July 2019 - 01:48 PM.

#12 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,835 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 03:14 PM

Update: tightened the fuse box slightly, but no change. Also, now on the dash the full beam light only comes on when the main beam is selected on the switch, whereas before it was illuminated on both the side lights and main beam position. The rear lights have are also now not turning on where they were working fine before.

FURTHER EDIT:
with sidelights on I now have both sidelights working, however passengerside one is very dim, and rear passenger side is on but drivers side not

Sounds like you have a fuse out, remove the fuses one at a time, then try to rotate the ends, if they spin replace the fuse.

#13 Ollie36

Ollie36

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 03:33 PM

FURTHER EDIT:

Sounds like you have a fuse out, remove the fuses one at a time, then try to rotate the ends, if they spin replace the fuse.

Thanks, checked the fuses, they seem ok, the actual fuse box has seen better days so I am going to replace that. Just took out all the foam as well as have read that this can get wet and therefore corrode the fuse box

#14 Ollie36

Ollie36

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 07:06 PM

Further update: changed the fuse box, battery earth strap and switch and now the issue has returned to the original problem! So now I am stumped, I have a new earth strap for the engine mount left to fit.

#15 andyapanel

andyapanel

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 01:32 PM

I get rid of those bullets; they are a problem waiting to happen.

Try bridging the earth: I bet your lights will return.

Use Haynes to trace the circuits.

Good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares