19 replies to this topic

#16 hhhh

hhhh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 01:36 AM

How would the roll centre adjusters, from Minisport, affect this situation, if at all,
https://www.minispor...-1959-2001.html

Bloody expensive ball joints. Wrong grade nut as well. And you need to be very low to need them and I am still not sure that what they say they do is actually worthwhile.

And as to the angle issue I don’t think it would help. But with a 1/8 spacer and/or the shortened shocks it ain’t an issue.

These will push the lower end of the wheel out more for a given suspension deflection on a lowered car, essentially reproducing the same arc as on a standard height car.

#17 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 07:21 AM

And as to the angle issue I don’t think it would help. But with a 1/8 spacer and/or the shortened shocks it ain’t an issue.

I've often heard it said that with lowered car you need dampers for lowered cars although no one ever seems to know how low you need to go before switching from standard dampers to dampers for lowered cars.

I had always though that if retaining the bump stops standard dampers would always be sufficient as the suspension could never go further on full bump than standard anyway no matter what the initial ride height - even if it was sitting on the bump stops as many badly maintained Minis do anyway.

When changing the springs on mine I checked full bump front and rear with the springs removed and found that the standard height dampers still had travel left in them.

Later I discovered it was more to do with retaining the spring location on full rebound when the trumpet was shortened and shortened dampers would help here.  The plating on the rebound rubber would do a similar job but I'm not sure how much.

I wonder how many cars are running around on shortened dampers because they have been lowered half an inch from standard and now just have unecessarily reduced suspension travel.

How low do the racers go and what do they do about bump stops?

#18 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,898 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 07 July 2019 - 02:40 PM

You need them is the suspension parts don’t stay together.

#19 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,898 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 07 July 2019 - 02:41 PM

How would the roll centre adjusters, from Minisport, affect this situation, if at all,

Bloody expensive ball joints. Wrong grade nut as well. And you need to be very low to need them and I am still not sure that what they say they do is actually worthwhile.

These will push the lower end of the wheel out more for a given suspension deflection on a lowered car, essentially reproducing the same arc as on a standard height car.
Nope they don’t push the bottom of the wheel out. They pull it in.

#20 hhhh

hhhh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 03:54 PM

Nope they don’t push the bottom of the wheel out. They pull it in.

I think you missed the qualifier: "for a given suspension deflection." Yes, they will pull the bottom of the wheel in on installation, but that's the point as it returns the geometry of the lower arm to where it was before the car was lowered. This change in camber is countered by extending the lower arm as desired. When the suspension deflects when hitting a bump, the arc of the lower arm is now allowed to extend outward, pushing the bottom of the wheel out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users