#1 chris80chris

chris80chris

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 06:37 PM

Hi all, help needed....

I've got a 2000 Cooper Sport, my indicators have stopped working, but hazards are fine with all bulbs working. The C6 fuse (15amp) had gone, everytime I put a new one in it blows when I turn the ignition on!

It can't be the flasher as they're a combined hazard/indicator unit on the MPi, so I'm all out of ideas, help please?

Cheers

#2 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 06:42 PM

Hi all, help needed....

I've got a 2000 Cooper Sport, my indicators have stopped working, but hazards are fine with all bulbs working. The C6 fuse (15amp) had gone, everytime I put a new one in it blows when I turn the ignition on!

It can't be the flasher as they're a combined hazard/indicator unit on the MPi, so I'm all out of ideas, help please?

Cheers

Id look into what else is powered from that fuse. If anything else. Ill have a look into the schematic now. 

#3 chris80chris

chris80chris

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 06:50 PM

As I understand it, the brake lights and reversing light are under same fuse. Would a bulb out cause the fuse to blow?

#4 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 06:53 PM

As per wireing diagram - Fuse C6 15A , feeds Brake pedal switch, Direction indicator relay reverse lamp switch. All use solid green wires ....

So id start removing variables. 

Easiest method id do ( i dont have MPI only SPI and carb )

• Key out of ignition
  • Remove C6 
  • unplug indicator relay 
  • Measure resistence from dead side of C6 fuse holder to ground  ( if you dont know which is dead which is live measure voltage from the terminal to ground dead side should have 0 V)
  • If you have open circuit then the indicator relay is at fault if you have low resistence then its not the relay keep it unpluged so we can check the loom at the end 
  • Next unplug brake pedal switch
  • again measure dead side of fuse holder to ground 
  • If low resistence then brake pedal is not your problem leave it unplugged again so we can check the loom
  • Next unplug reverse lamp switch, im guessing this is the one in the gear stick housing
  • measure dead side to ground if its low then this wasnt the issues and you have a loom issue
  • if the resistance is high / open circuit then the switch is your issues.

Personally id guess the reverse switch wires may have touched the exhaust and shorted to ground.....

But i left it last since i did order of easiest acessed. 

#5 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 06:53 PM

As I understand it, the brake lights and reversing light are under same fuse. Would a bulb out cause the fuse to blow?

No, it would be the other way around, a blow bulb would blow open circuit and even if it blew and short circuited it should blow before a 15A fuse 

Failure modes id expect 

• Loom fault - something has rubed/burn insulation and its shorted to chasis 
  • Indicator relay -  Coil may have burned and shorted 
  • Brake pedal switch - Maybe pinched the wire behind a pedal 
  • Reverse switch - wire melted on exhaust

Edited by phillrulz, 06 July 2019 - 06:58 PM.

#6 chris80chris

chris80chris

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 06:57 PM

Putting two and two together here, but I've just had a quick shift installed, so I am guessing this has done something to the connector down there!

#7 chris80chris

chris80chris

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 06:58 PM

Thanks for the quick responses

#8 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 07:01 PM

Putting two and two together here, but I've just had a quick shift installed, so I am guessing this has done something to the connector down there!

Sounds promissing.... Didnt want to put it first since its the hardest of the 3 to get to 

Thanks for the quick responses

No problem, im sat here waiting for mini eletrical problems to come up haha, im eletrical biased. 

by the way, Follow the thread top right of the thread, will notifiy you when someone posts in here 

Edited by phillrulz, 06 July 2019 - 07:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users