4 replies to this topic

#1 knowell

knowell

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 11:07 PM

Hello all, just got my first mini and trying to fix an issue with sluggish acceleration on 2nd/3rd. its slow to pick up and then has a burst of speed. I've researched around and found mostly suggested adding oil to dashpot. I added some 3 in one motor oil to the dashpot which has now caused my throttle to stick. I have to hook my foot on the pedal and bring it back up to keep it from revving high. Also when manually pulling the throttle cable it feels like its catching at the end, I have not messed with the cable at all though and did not have an issue until adding the oil. I would appreciate any suggestions on fixing the flat spots and how to remedy this stuck throttle. 

Is there anyway to drain out some dashpot oil?

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,898 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 06 July 2019 - 11:12 PM

The oil will NOT have changed anything. If there is too much is just get ejected and burnt off.

Sounds like you have other carb issues.

Sounds like the throttle cable needs looking at as does how the carb actuation is operating.

#3 SuperDeLuxeNick

SuperDeLuxeNick

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Local Club: Midweek Minis Portsmouth

Posted 07 July 2019 - 09:26 AM

first off fit a new throttle cable (decent nylon one) - 5 min job and cheap.

Then most probably crap in the carb, strip it down and clean it out (float chamber gets a lot of gunk)

While there, fit a fuel filter (again 5 mins and £3)

After that probs wants setting up properly, take to an old school garage if unsure, they will spend an hour sorting timing and give it a basic tune.

#4 knowell

knowell

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 10:00 PM

thanks for the input. put some wd40 on the return spring and re-adjusted/tighten the throttle cable - solved the throttle issue. The added oil in the dashpot helped a lot with the flat spots but still needs some tuning. will take the advice and remove the carb and give it a thorough clean and report back if still having issues. thanks all 

#5 ACDodd

ACDodd

Up Into Fourth

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 05:36 AM

A full time up including a needle change/custom needle will ensure the fueling correct across the rev range. The ignition advance curve is also needing to be checked and adjusted if required to get the best from your engine to ensure smooth performance.

Ac

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users