#1 nicholasp99

nicholasp99

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 01:24 PM

Hi chaps,

What sort of welders are people using for panels? Probably MIG with gassless wire? I’m a beginner and wondering what type of wire I need and so on... any tips would be wonderful...

#2 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 01:28 PM

Gasless mig welders aren't that great.  You're much better using gas, you'll get better results.

#3 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 02:52 PM

I would go for a gas Mig rather than gasless. Machine Mart sell some good Clarke units. I have an old 150te which is model that has been superceded, it's really good and can do anything you wanton a car and even handle some thicker items.

#4 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 07 July 2019 - 04:38 PM

So many times has this particular question has been raised and there will be a multitude of answers.

So first thing is, have you got a garage or car port to weld in?? If so then a Gas Mig will be the way fwd. If not then a gasless one maybe of more use HOWEVER its easy to create a shield to prevent your gas supply from being affected.

Secondly, your budget??? Now a reasonable hobby welder is the Clarke 135TE Turbo. More than good enough for all of your needs on a mini.

If however you have a far better budget then you can look at the likes of Porta Mig etc.

#5 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 08 July 2019 - 10:00 PM

Sealey 180 supermig is what my dad uses, keep an eye out on eBay or gum tree for virtually new welders that people have bought but not taken time to get used to.... that's what happened with ours, the seller needed the space too so we ended up with everything needed at less than 1/3 price... welder, 3 reels of 0.8mm wire, 2 size Y Argoshield bottles still full and even the BOC mask and spare lenses and Euro torch tips... £250 collected I'm sure it was....

Bargains can be had

#6 nicholasp99

nicholasp99

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 06:45 PM

i was looking at mig welders with glassless wire for around £60-£100... are these not good enough for a few patches and panels on the front?

thanks

#7 nicholasp99

nicholasp99

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 06:46 PM

was also wondering (never welded before) how one puts a patch over a rust hole. Ive got one in my footwell and wondered if I could grind it out and make a patch to weld in... not sure how that would work and how to shape metal for patches.

any advice appreciated.

Edited by nicholasp99, 09 July 2019 - 07:18 PM.

#8 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:15 PM

was also wondering (never welded before) how one puts a patch over a rust hole. Ive got one in my footwell and wondered if I could grind it out and make a patch to weld in... not sure how that would work and how to shape metal for patches.

any advice appreciated.

It's all in the learning process. If you know any other mini owners local to you, ask them if they'd be willing to weld the car for some beer tokens or even to show you the basics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users