11 replies to this topic

#1 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:12 PM

Hi guys, anyone running an aftermarket rev counter ( pulse counter type) with an electronic ignition module like power spark ?

Mine seems accurate however jumps around way too much. I’ve tried another rev counter and injected a pulse signal into them with an arduino and they are rock steady. However on the mini they jump.

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:31 PM

Sounds like the coil(try another used one from a local, running car) is busted or theres a poor connection somewhere in the circuit.

Does the coil bounce around by 500/1000rpm at certain rpm (ie at cruise speed?) Or does it spike when you kill the ignition?

If so I'd say to try running a temporary rpm signal wire to your chosen guage to rule out corrosion

#3 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:42 PM

Sounds like the coil(try another used one from a local, running car) is busted or theres a poor connection somewhere in the circuit.

Does the coil bounce around by 500/1000rpm at certain rpm (ie at cruise speed?) Or does it spike when you kill the ignition?

If so I'd say to try running a temporary rpm signal wire to your chosen guage to rule out corrosion

Ill check the coil on my SPI, one in the mini im testing is 3.1Ohm primart 13.5k secondary i think it was. But ill try tomorrow since shes a little loud to fire up at this time.  

EDIT- i am using my own virgin wire for the pulse signal. all conections on coil tight. Removed and re installed. 

Edited by phillrulz, 10 July 2019 - 08:43 PM.

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,486 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:46 PM

The coil resistance does sound ok to me, how old is the coil?

#5 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:51 PM

The coil resistance does sound ok to me, how old is the coil?

pfff, maybe a year, have no issues with the car at all. 

#6 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,486 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:00 PM

Its certainly a strange one, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon

#7 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:04 PM

Its certainly a strange one, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon

Im pretty stumped. But will see if the SPIs coil is compatible tomorrow. Messaged powerspark asking if their module works how i think it does. I work in heavy industry and have seen alot of icompatabilites between mechanical switching and electronic soft switching. But i dont see everyone with rev counters and electronic ignitions complaining.... 

#8 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,486 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:08 PM

Im pretty stumped. But will see if the SPIs coil is compatible tomorrow. Messaged powerspark asking if their module works how i think it does. I work in heavy industry and have seen alot of icompatabilites between mechanical switching and electronic soft switching. But i dont see everyone with rev counters and electronic ignitions complaining....

It has me stumped too, certainly isn't the first time with minis either ??

I have issues with my 89 Mayfair which has a retrofitted set of auxillary guages.... When we put the sidelights or headlights on the rev counter goes to zero, fuel and temperature guages go to their maximum but the car runs sweet as a nut... It stumped 4 mechanics and this forum so haven't got a solution ?

#9 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:10 PM

It has me stumped too, certainly isn't the first time with minis either

I have issues with my 89 Mayfair which has a retrofitted set of auxillary guages.... When we put the sidelights or headlights on the rev counter goes to zero, fuel and temperature guages go to their maximum but the car runs sweet as a nut... It stumped 4 mechanics and this forum so haven't got a solution

Can i be that personto say its an earth fault? 

#10 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,486 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:17 PM

It has me stumped too, certainly isn't the first time with minis either

I have issues with my 89 Mayfair which has a retrofitted set of auxillary guages.... When we put the sidelights or headlights on the rev counter goes to zero, fuel and temperature guages go to their maximum but the car runs sweet as a nut... It stumped 4 mechanics and this forum so haven't got a solution

Can i be that personto say its an earth fault?

I've tried everything, we just made an earth loop that goes between the aux guages then ties into the earth for the binnacle wiring, the live wiring is the same so everything should be wired correctly.... apologies for the thread hack, that was unintentional

#11 albirhiza

albirhiza

Just On Tickover

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:30 PM

Not sure if this helps at all, but I run a Bosch tach with no issues on a minispares evo electronic dizzy. Also used a new wire for pulse signal. It was a ballasted system, so when i replaced coil with nonballasted i did the bypass. Coil is the Lucas sport.

Have you tested this tach in anything else? If only the tach is jumping but not actual rev's my guess based on your checks might be the tach is suspect.

#12 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:44 PM

Not sure if this helps at all, but I run a Bosch tach with no issues on a minispares evo electronic dizzy. Also used a new wire for pulse signal. It was a ballasted system, so when i replaced coil with nonballasted i did the bypass. Coil is the Lucas sport.

Have you tested this tach in anything else? If only the tach is jumping but not actual rev's my guess based on your checks might be the tach is suspect.

Tried two of the same model tach, injected a pulse signal with an arduino and it’s rock stable.

Development today changed wireing and noticed seems stable when cold. So going to change the coil over since they seem to go bad once warmed up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users