Photo
- - - - -

My Minis Front End Is Sitting Far To High?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 se_juggles

se_juggles

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:27 AM

The front end of my mini is sitting about 3inches + higher than the rear. My hi/Los are set to the lowest they can be. All the suspension is brand new so is it because the cones need bedding in or will the adjustable arms bring it down?

Cheers se

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:43 AM

New rubber cones do settle, give it a few weeks and then check again.

#3 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 09:38 AM

Hi

No need to do any thing drastic. I have known them to take 2 months sometimes, but they will definitely settle down as Moke rightly says

#4 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 11 July 2019 - 10:04 AM

The front end of my mini is sitting about 3inches + higher than the rear. My hi/Los are set to the lowest they can be. All the suspension is brand new so is it because the cones need bedding in or will the   adjustable  arms    bring it down?

Cheers se

By "adjustable arms", presumably you are referring to the lower front suspension arm ?.

Altering their length will not affect the ride height.

#5 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:14 PM

What knuckle joints have you fitted.. I assume with new cones you fitted new knuckles...I believe they are the same front and rear but later cars 1990 onwards had a built in spacer for extra ride height clearance.... have you bought the later 1990 onwards ones for a pre 1990 mini perhaps ?

#6 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:49 PM

In my experience the best thing you can do is to use it! It'll settle quicker.

#7 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:00 PM

In my experience the best thing you can do is to use it! It'll settle quicker.

I agree

#8 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:59 PM

Mine has settled left to right annoyingly!

#9 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,976 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 12 July 2019 - 07:49 AM

I have heard someone installed the cones upside down and it caused the same problem.. yours are definitely right?

#10 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 08:13 AM

3" is a lot to expect to settle!

#11 M700FGT

M700FGT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:43 PM

The rubber cones will have a big impact - i know i replaced all mine at the same time.

The problem is they do settle, but they need weight to do it. As my Mini only ever really has one person, the drivers side is actually lower than the passengers side. For quite some time the arse was so high i was accursed of lowering the front for the dragster look! 

I was told to drive around with bags of concrete to weigh down the other side, but it made no difference. 

Also just for reference there are actually two rubber cones both claiming to be Genuine. One is the prototype version, the other is the one that actually sent on the production model. I can't remember which way round it is, but Mini Spares sell one and Mini Sport sell the other. 

#12 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,845 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 12:53 AM

Also just for reference there are actually two rubber cones both claiming to be Genuine. One is the prototype version, the other is the one that actually sent on the production model. I can't remember which way round it is, but Mini Spares sell one and Mini Sport sell the other. 

One firm bought the patent but manufacture to their own standards, are made by Avon.

The other is made on the factory tooling and using the same factory rubber recipe so in effect, are exact copies of the OEM item.

#13 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 07:13 AM

One firm bought the patent but manufacture to their own standards, are made by Avon.

The other is made on the factory tooling and using the same factory rubber recipe so in effect, are exact copies of the OEM item.

Which are which and what ones are better?

#14 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,845 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 08:01 AM

Which are which and what ones are better?

To be quite fair, the Avon ones are ~ OK ~ but from tests I've done, definitely softer than the originals and don't last as well (before sagging).

I prefer those made to factory specs.

#15 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:13 AM

I really wish I'd fitted genuine hilos now as I'm certain I'm going to have to fit some anyway, would have saved me a lot of time and effort!

Edited by CityEPete, 14 July 2019 - 09:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users