18 replies to this topic

#1 Algordo1100

Algordo1100

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 08:53 AM

6 years ago, I sold both my Minis and disappeared off to Australia and off the forum.

I'm back in England now for a year or so and I want another mini. This mini will be going home to Queensland with me and joining our 1964 850.

But I don't know what I want. I have ideas. I know I'm looking for something complete and in very good condition. I know how much I can spend. I know I'm not buying any rust, ..

But other than that, I can see pros and cons of any car I see.

I thought I wanted an MPI to contrast the mk1, - like mini production bookends.
But then I started thinking how I prefer more simple mechanicals. And I hear horror stories about the MPIs having poor gearboxes and terrible corrosion resistance.

So I think Cooper carb. Since I've never owned an actual cooper and it was the cooper rebirth that got me into minis as a small child in the early 90s. Every model I had was B/R green or flame red with a white roof and stripes. But I've never owned a 'real' one.
An RSP...yea but far, far too expensive.
And then I remember that I always removed the single post headrest seats in my pre SPi minis as although awesome for space, they are uncomfortable for me.
Well, I can always put different seats in.

But do I not want something original? Or are some modifications ok? I just don't know. I can't make my mind up.

There's a few cars I'm looking at, including one being sold by a TMF member.

Then I think. Ahh sod it, I'll just buy a K when I get home.

Indecisive. Ha

#2 SuperDeLuxeNick

SuperDeLuxeNick

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Local Club: Midweek Minis Portsmouth

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:07 AM

1977 Sandglow 1000? ;)

#3 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:43 AM

If you can buy one in Queensland, why buy one here and waste your brass, shipping it ?

#4 riktanius

riktanius

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:50 AM

I would say to pick up one of those interesting JDM imports, but those are all over Australia already and prob easier for you to get. 

MPI's are only bad in the UK, they last much longer in dryer climates. I see quite a few MPI's here in Italy and they seem much better than the early models that havent been taken care of. 

Honestly, If you have an all original fancy Mk1, I would go with something more offbeat. Maybe a Honda Swapped MK3+? 

#5 Algordo1100

Algordo1100

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:53 AM

If you can buy one in Queensland, why buy one here and waste your brass, shipping it ?

Because I want one for here too, for while I'm here.
But mainly because a UK spec mini is a rarity in Australia. It would actually be more expensive. Since I'm shipping a container home anyway, I might as well shop while I'm here.

I do love the minis built in Australia and I may have one as well some day. Probably a 1275LS.

#6 Algordo1100

Algordo1100

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:02 AM

I would say to pick up one of those interesting JDM imports, but those are all over Australia already and prob easier for you to get.

MPI's are only bad in the UK, they last much longer in dryer climates. I see quite a few MPI's here in Italy and they seem much better than the early models that havent been taken care of.

Honestly, If you have an all original fancy Mk1, I would go with something more offbeat. Maybe a Honda Swapped MK3+?

Similar lines my friends have been telling me to think along.

But that flame red and white cooper I had the Tamyia RC model of when I was 10. It calls to me. Ha

I certainly have considered a JDM. Air con is, shall we say, useful in Queensland ;)

Perhaps they (JDM) are more common in Oz then I think, but I've not seen many, and the ones I have seen have been distastefully messed about with.

Unless I'm wrong, there wouldn't be much difference cost wise in buying a JDM car here, already UK registered, and registering it in Queensland in a year, or buying a JDM back home. The shipping container is going anyway so..

And I get to play with a mini whilst I'm here.

#7 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:19 PM

summit rust free and runs

#8 sansamn

sansamn

On The Road

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 02:02 PM

If you can afford one, how about a Pickup (or Ute in Aussie speak)?

I believe that they never sold them in Australia.

Cool car to have while you’re here and a real rarity when you get back over to the other side of the planet

#9 riktanius

riktanius

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:20 PM

Red and White? Check

JDM? Check

Can be shipped all over the world? Check. 

https://www.thecarwa.../864/rover-mini

#10 Algordo1100

Algordo1100

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:44 PM

Red and White? Check
JDM? Check
Can be shipped all over the world? Check.
https://www.thecarwa.../864/rover-mini

Yep, looked at that (advert) it is the right colour and a 'real' cooper and JDM.....

But to me, that is distastefully messed about with. What's going on with those arches? Where has the drivers seat gone? Or the steering wheel? The interior is dirty. The engine bay looks unloved.
All things I'd take into consideration, but not when the asking price is 10 grand. Nope, there are better examples for less it seems.

Edited by Algordo1100, 12 July 2019 - 03:46 PM.

#11 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:28 PM

Red and White? Check
JDM? Check
But this one’s mine and I’m unlikely to part with it :) They’re available though if you keep looking and you certainly don’t need to pay £10K ...

Attached Files

#12 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,900 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 12 July 2019 - 07:16 PM

I do love the minis built in Australia and I may have one as well some day. Probably a 1275LS.

Before buying one 'blindly'. have a very good look at the Marque. They were the last off the line and every single one I've seen has been put together very rough and very poorly, not just all the fittings, but the body panels too. They are very easy to spend a small fortune on and they aren't worth a lot (and I'd say, for this reason). They are also very prone to rusting.

If you can afford one, how about a Pickup (or Ute in Aussie speak)?

I believe that they never sold them in Australia.

Cool car to have while you’re here and a real rarity when you get back over to the other side of the planet

Yeah, we never got them here, though there are a few about, but I believe only about 4 or 6 genuine ones across the country.

If you are keen to get a UK spec Mini (or a UK Built Car) there's loads of Japanese Spec SPIs here, and to me, buying one that's here and registered would make the most financial sense.

Be aware that any model made post 88 you'll have extreme difficulty registering here if at all. I know the doors on them for one item require extensive (and expensive) modification, as well as many other items.

#13 Algordo1100

Algordo1100

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 04:19 PM

On further research, it seems that if I use the 'personal import' option, it shouldn't be too difficult to register a UK mini back in Queensland if I meet the necessary criteria. Like.. I have to own the car and it be 'in use' here in the UK for a year before going home.. ok.
Plus, a 1988 or earlier is going to be easier, so unfortunately that rules out my 90s cooper idea.

I'll not blindly buy anything. I'll just keep looking :)

#14 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 15 July 2019 - 09:41 AM

Like said above, find something that wasn't available on the domestic market in OZ.

Did they get the GT Clubbies and stuff?

#15 Quincy Sparks

Quincy Sparks

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Local Club: BHMC, MCR

Posted 15 July 2019 - 10:47 AM

On further research, it seems that if I use the 'personal import' option, it shouldn't be too difficult to register a UK mini back in Queensland if I meet the necessary criteria. Like.. I have to own the car and it be 'in use' here in the UK for a year before going home.. ok.
Plus, a 1988 or earlier is going to be easier, so unfortunately that rules out my 90s cooper idea.

I'll not blindly buy anything. I'll just keep looking :)

Don't rule out the Cooper idea! After all - the prototype / test car for the JCG conversion kits was an '86 Mayfair : http://topclassiccar...ne-off-car.html

How about a 1988 Red Hot limited edition with a John Cooper Conversion? I'm sure some would have been converted at the time, but whether you'd find one for sale is another matter. You could get a standard-as-you-can-find Red Hot (or just a late 80s 998 red Mayfair / City!? Then maybe you wouldn't feel bad about repainting the roof white if you were set on that look) and either pay for the current reproduction Cooper Car Co. kit available via MiniSport or replicate the key bits yourself (Maniflow 'Stage 1' kit, worked head, uprated cam, white minilights etc) I'm sure you could find some nice 'period correct' front seats like you could get from John Cooper in the 90s to help comfort levels too : http://www.minipassi...Cooper 1992.pdf

Just an(other) idea! :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users