Photo
- - - - -

Question About Priming Oil Pump Before First Startup

Best Answer BaronVonchesto , 16 July 2019 - 01:54 PM

Well got it sorted. followed all the advice. put int he pressure relief valve, opened the banjo filled the block with oil, pushed the car backwards in gear and put the banjo back in.

then cranked it and 5 seconds later the pressure was up to almost 50 psi!  :proud:

thanks everyone!

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:09 AM

Every car that comes off a production line, is started and driven off while the oil pressure builds up.

Many engines have oil pumps in the sump submerged in oil which eliminates priming problems.

Yes, that was quite prolific at one time, the drive taken down from the cam, often using the distributor gear;  not so easy with overhead cams.

I can remember engines without oil pumps. 

The cap of the conrod had a "Dipper" , shaped like a very small, long garden trowel that struck forward into the sump oil, driving oil up the the big ends.  It also caused a lot of splashing over the cam and up the bores where the oil rings gathered enough to 'wet' the little ends, and the crank webs had cast-in grooves that trickled the oil to the main bearings.

#17 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:47 AM

Start a newly built engine without without oil pressure and bearing damage is done, taking off 1000 of miles of useful engine life.

If an engine had been correctly built and the oil pump fitted correctly oil pressure should come up after about four ten second bursts on the starter. You will actually hear the engine slow down slightly as the oil pressure builds up.

I have always put a bit of multipurpose grease in the oil pump before fitting. Of course the new pump should be dismantled and cleaned up - the odd casting burrs here and there etc to be filed off.

Every car that comes off a production line, is started and driven off while the oil pressure builds up.

Would definitely disagree with that; Mercedes for example turn their engines over at about 3000rpm using an external power source to drive the crankshaft. This gets the oil circulating and assists with the initial run in as well as checking that there are no other problems.

#18 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:01 AM

Here's some A series engines being tested in this film 10 minutes in:

I'm not sure if this proves anything about priming oil pumps but it's good to watch none the less.  There's no sound on it by the way.

#19 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:21 AM

Start a newly built engine without without oil pressure and bearing damage is done, taking off 1000 of miles of useful engine life.

If an engine had been correctly built and the oil pump fitted correctly oil pressure should come up after about four ten second bursts on the starter. You will actually hear the engine slow down slightly as the oil pressure builds up.

I have always put a bit of multipurpose grease in the oil pump before fitting. Of course the new pump should be dismantled and cleaned up - the odd casting burrs here and there etc to be filed off.

Would definitely disagree with that; Mercedes for example turn their engines over at about 3000rpm using an external power source to drive the crankshaft. This gets the oil circulating and assists with the initial run in as well as checking that there are no other problems.

I thought that I might have been the only person to have done that.

When Mini's had tappet chest covers, I used to bolt my short engine to the gearbox, fill it through the chest cover with oil and stand it on brown paper over night to see if there was a trace of oil leaks.

The next day I'd fit the cam, and using the speed brace on the cam nut, keep turning until oil came out of the feed to the head.  If all was well, I continued building up the engine.

#20 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:44 AM

Here's some A series engines being tested in this film 10 minutes in:

I'm not sure if this proves anything about priming oil pumps but it's good to watch none the less.  There's no sound on it by the way.

Thank you for finding that, takes me back a good many years.  So much easier if we had all those tools ?.

They tested the oil pump, and the gear box, but no sign of priming the oil pump, just turn the key and drive it out of the door.

Skillful chap with the spray gun, not to paint the yellow water pump pulley.

#21 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 03:32 PM

Source?

#22 BaronVonchesto

BaronVonchesto

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 04:28 PM

well i'm away for the weekend, so i'll get back to it on monday. never opened the brand new oil pump up. Wrongfully assumed that a brand new oil pump would be okay as is... though it's pretty obvious that the quality of British manufacturing is far below what one would have hoped for, so clearly that was a bad assumption on my part.

Fingers crossed, I wont have any issue and will be able to prime the pump after fitting the pressure release valve and squirting oil down the hole where the banjo bolt goes into.

#23 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,901 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 13 July 2019 - 06:06 PM

If you haven't already left for the weekend, put some Oil in there before you go away, then it can run back through the pump while you're out playing.

#24 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,901 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 13 July 2019 - 06:12 PM

Many engines have oil pumps in the sump submerged in oil which eliminates priming problems.

This is quite true for probably most cars.

However, before the engines are installed in to the cars, they are all test run and oil pressure is delivered one way or another before they are started. Some are done with their own oil pumps, some are externally fed, but you can be sure, they all have oil pressure before that all important first start.

#25 BaronVonchesto

BaronVonchesto

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 01:54 PM   Best Answer

Well got it sorted. followed all the advice. put int he pressure relief valve, opened the banjo filled the block with oil, pushed the car backwards in gear and put the banjo back in.

then cranked it and 5 seconds later the pressure was up to almost 50 psi!  :proud:

thanks everyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users