#1 bgrant570

bgrant570

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:56 PM

So I think I may have to change my throw out bearing.  Clutch (pre-verto) is making noise when the pedal is depressed, but fine under load.  Clutch is working fine (not slipping or noisy when engaged).  I'm going to adjust the throw out stop and see if that fixes it.  I'm just going off the haynes manual as I have not done one before.  Any help or advice with throw out adjustment or bearing replacement would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks.

Edited by bgrant570, 12 July 2019 - 07:13 PM.

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 12 July 2019 - 08:48 PM

Does sound like you'll need to readjust it, the clutch throw out can rattle if slightly loose

#3 bgrant570

bgrant570

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 02:41 AM

Does sound like you'll need to readjust it, the clutch throw out can rattle if slightly loose

Is the Haynes manual accurate?  (Get someone to depress the clutch pedal fully and then screw the nut up finger tight. Release the clutch pedal and screw the nut up one flat. Add the lock nut.) I know sometimes there are better methods than Haynes suggests.

#4 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 06:48 AM

If it makes a noise only when depressing the clutch pedal then the bearing is definitely not good. Adjusting the throw out will have no effect and I would suggest removing the clutch wok and replacing the bearing. Check the clutch lever ball and pivot pin for wear while you are busy down there too.

#5 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 08:12 AM

Your throwout adjustment wont do anything. The small stop bolt for the arm will. Screw it in a little bit more, the release bearing shouldn't be touching the pressure plate.

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:31 AM

As above,

The clutch release bearing is inside the clutch housing. It shouldn't touch the clutch until you depress the pedal, the clutch return stop, the bolt under the operating arm, is what sets the gap between the bearing and the clutch.

The big nuts at the inner end of the clutch lever are the throw out stop and lock nut. They limit how far the clutch can be pushed to release it, so it's not pressed more than necessary, thus stopping the crank being pushed against its thrust bearing.

It does sound like a noisy release bearing if grinds as soon as you take up the slack in the pedal. Don't put off replacing it too long: if it seizes and spins on the plunger you'll end up needing one of those as well.

#7 bgrant570

bgrant570

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 05:58 PM

Thanks for the advice.  I did adjust the throw out stop, and as you said it made no difference, so now to replace the bearing.  Any tips, or just follow the Haynes manual? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users