#1 romblu89

romblu89

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 08:46 PM

Hello everyone,

Been feeling quite some vibration under braking recently. So I measured the runout on the discs:

Left hand side: https://youtu.be/UVuKTQnlDL8

Right hand side: https://youtu.be/zroEwP6wpLM

The left hand side is the worst although I do not know how much is acceptable. So, ... new discs it is. Here's the question that has been asked many times however I still cannot decide on what to do.

Should I upgrade the disc/calliper setup to a different setup (vented/4pot) or should I just get new discs (which brand) ? For info:  I do enjoy racing through winding roads at times  =], also planning to go to track a couple of times a year.

Hope you can help  :lol:

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:07 PM

I use stamdard size Delphi discs and pads, you'll not really need any upgraded discs for the corners, if anything Mintex 1144 pads for the track if you need them

Edited by cal844, 12 July 2019 - 09:08 PM.

#3 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:12 PM

The warping of the discs aside, have you found your Brakes inadequate with your spirited driving ?

#4 romblu89

romblu89

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:20 PM

Before the warping they did smell quite bad at times while "spirited driving". Also had brake fade on some steep downhills while driving normally and keeping constant speed with just engine brake was not enough.

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:25 PM

You probably just need something like the Mintex 1144 pads.

I wouldn't recommend anything other than stock discs.

#6 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 13 July 2019 - 01:19 AM

Also, how long has it been since you changed your brake fluid? If it's recent, you might need to upgrade the fluid to one with a higher temp boiling point. Either way, if you boiled the fluid, you need to change it.

#7 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Local Club: Not MINI friendly

Posted 13 July 2019 - 06:36 PM

r/unpopularopinion is, for a road car, is to stick with standard solid discs. The mini is not that heavy and vented discs are not needed on anything other than a trackday or true race car when the heat of lots of high speed braking have I found them necessary. 

When you do replace the discs take some time to really clean the brake calliper of brake dust BEFORE pushing the pistons back. Wear a mask as the stuff is toxic but brake clean and a wire/nylon brush (without using an abrasive) and really get in there and get those pistons nice and clean. As Magneto said if the brake fluid is old or been boiled replace the fluid. Using a turkey baster to suck out all the old fluid and top off with new. Then go round the bleed through the system until clean fluid comes through.

#8 romblu89

romblu89

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 08:14 PM

thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going with the standard discs then and do all the necessary work before hand

thanks again :)

#9 M700FGT

M700FGT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:35 PM

Do you know what brand they were?

Im not saying you would, but I've know a few people to go very cheap on brakes and they have ended up with similar warping issues. 

My local garage once refused to fit a set of discs for a guy i knew, as they were such poor quality they judged them to be dangerous and didn't want to be held responsible. 

I've recently upgraded mine to Mini Sport Aluminium 4 pots with with Mintex pads. Ive also replaced the rear drum with fins. Not really had a chance to bed them in yet, but im hoping they are better then what i had before, as in Jan this year the old calliper seized at 40 mph and pulled towards another car - proper brown trousers time! 

Attached Files

• Attached File  4.jpg   64.66K   3 downloads
  • Attached File  3.jpg   61.37K   1 downloads

#10 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 07:49 AM

Yeah, some cheap discs are pretty chappy, it becomes apparent when you've machined a few, harder patches, debris like sand embedded etc, it pays to pay a few extra pounds and get somthing like a branded disc, or minispares competition disc, you don't need holes and slots,just decent material.

#11 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 08:28 AM

Wear a mask as the stuff is toxic

To quote the Brembo factory director a few years after asbestos was forbidden:" This new stuff is just as toxic as asbestos, but they dont have laws against it (yet).

#12 romblu89

romblu89

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:00 AM

I don't know what brand the existing discs are.

what about these? https://www.ebay.co....06/251759081272

Edited by romblu89, 14 July 2019 - 09:00 AM.

#13 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 04:02 PM

The look to ok, I've used these in the past.

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

#14 M700FGT

M700FGT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 14 July 2019 - 06:56 PM

Anything from WP, Mini Sport or Mini Spares should be fine for standard brake discs. 

Just keep in mind that you plan to attend the track, so I would go for the best pads you can afford.

On most cars I use brembo, but my mini uses Mixtex. I previously used Mintex on a heavy BMW 5 series and they were excellent. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users