3 replies to this topic

#1 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 08:39 PM

Last month, I replaced both the felt lower and plastic upper bushes on my steering column.  The car is a 1983 City, which is my daily driver.

Initially, everything was great, no movement in the column or rattles at idle- it felt like a new-ish car!  However, within a few weeks, both bushes are showing so much slack, they're worse than the (35 year old) originals that they replaced!  :rolleyes:

The parts came from 'Minimine' via ebay.  Does anyone supply any quality parts nowadays?  Can I fit later parts to my 1983 column?  I know Rover changed the design. 

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 13 July 2019 - 08:44 PM

I'm not sure if you are aware, but to cover it.

The lower felt bush needs to be soaked on oil for at least 24 hours before fitting, longer if you can afford the time. Without doing this, they don't last too long at all.

You may also want to stand the column after it's assembly and before fitting to the car, for a day or two so any excess oil doesn't make a mess of the carpets.

The upper bush, I grease, but of course, be sure the column is rust free.

#3 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:22 PM

Thanks Moke, I did soak the lower bush.. and it did make a bit of a mess for a while after (luckily my carpet is already in 'pre-loved' condition :)

With the top bush, I used a bit of white grease, admittedly not much, maybe not enough.

Looks like I'll be doing the job again.  For what it's worth, the car felt much nicer for the brief time I had no play in the setup!

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 14 July 2019 - 12:43 AM

Oh OK.

What a pain in the neck.

Yes, they do feel good when there's no play in them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users