6 replies to this topic

#1 DavidN

DavidN

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 02:04 PM

Afternoon, Bit of a basic query this one.  My steering rack gaiters have both split - they have become detached from the narrow bit that clips on to the rack at the out edges. Presumably this is an immediate failure and not an advisory. The actual gaiters are still fine ...for what it's worth. Thanks for your patience.

#2 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 03:19 PM

It will fail. Because they're not preventing the ingress of dirt, or words to that effect. You could potentially fudge it with a couple of cable ties just to get it through the test. But changing them is pretty simple.

#3 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Local Club: Not MINI friendly

Posted 14 July 2019 - 03:45 PM

Easy enough to change yourself with very little tools. Only 'gotcha' is that you'll need to wind the track rod ends off in order to get the boots on & off.

#4 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 08:36 PM

Mine failed on them. Easy job to replace just like 2 bolts. One holding track rod end to hub and the track rog end itself. Keep the lock nut in the same position and it shouldnt effect your tracking. 

Edited by phillrulz, 14 July 2019 - 08:36 PM.

#5 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 12:27 AM

A dab of paint or counting the turns to take the TRE off also works. A ball joint splitter isn't necessary either. Loosen (but don't remove) the nut and give it a whack from the top with a lump hammer. It should pop out.

Clean the thread on the TRE before reinstalling the nut. Makes it much easier to tighten the nut without the TRE ball joint spinning.

If all of this sounds alien I'm sure we could rustle up some pictures to help.

#6 DavidN

DavidN

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 08:18 AM

Thanks for your helpful replies. Thought so -  for various reasons the car hasn't done many miles in the last year and I think the and the tester "took a view" on it on the last test.  There was a time ( 1970's ?) when I would have dived underneath and sorted it but time moves on..........I will ask the garage to do it and impress them with my honesty. to be honest it's the emission test that always scares me. One of the joys of MPI ownership?

#7 expat_cat

expat_cat

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 08:56 AM

I have the same issue.  One question worth getting opinions on, 4.5" or 7.5" gaiters?

cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users