#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,794 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 16 July 2019 - 06:11 PM

BL launched the 'Quiet Mini' in the Summer of 1980. It incorporated extensive sound-deadening in the floorpan, front bulkhead, dashboard, roof and boot, plus a new headlining material. The effect was to produce what could more accurately be called a 'quieter Mini'. Over the years it was slowly reduced under cost reductions and in the front floorpan area it seemed to promote rust by trapping the water leaks.

Motor Magazine - July 5th 1980

PTY7JMQh.jpg

jYlIgUeh.jpg

From Somerfords website:
"The higher diff ratio came in for the next and ultimately more successful, anti-noise campaign that took place during the development of the 1997 on Minis.  One of the forthcoming European regulations that had to be passed if the Mini was to stay in production after 1997 was the drive-by noise limit - i.e. the aural impact the car would have on its immediate environment.  Once again, sound deadening material was beefed up, but it still required exhaust modifications, the repositioning of the radiator to the front of the car and the raising of the final drive ratio (so the engine wasn't running so fast) plus a host of other changes to get the Mini quiet enough to pass the tests.  It did pass, obviously, and the 1997 on Minis are genuinely noticeably quieter both from the outside and inside.  Only one other Rover Group product had to turn similar engineering cartwheels to pass the drive-by noise test: the Land Rover Defender.  Says it all, really..."

Edited by mab01uk, 22 April 2023 - 12:14 PM.

#2 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,794 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 06:11 PM

y9RGuRb.jpg

Anyone for tennis?
So with Wimbledon just gone, here is an image of one of the top tennis players of the 1970s, Ilie Nastase, known for his on court verbal antics, posing with the new 'Quiet' Mini City:-
https://www.aronline...one-for-tennis/

#3 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 08:09 AM

Interesting that they discounted underbonnet insulation as effective.

#4 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,401 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 18 July 2019 - 09:17 AM

The price difference between the City & GT though! Can't imagine a 40% increase in production costs.

#5 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,794 posts

Posted 22 April 2023 - 12:18 PM

DgNjfCuh.jpg

oWWYyH0h.jpg

#6 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 22 April 2023 - 02:45 PM

I bought a new gt in September 80 and don’t remember any reference to better sound insulation but it had it all. When I got my 75 gt in 2018 I couldn’t believe how noisy it was compared to the 80 one. I eventually fitted a double layer of sound insulation in the same places as in the above advert including both sides of the front bulkhead mine has a large sunroof so no roof insulation. It drastically reduced the noise to a very comfortable level and meant when chatting in the car you don’t have to shout.

Edited by Chris1275gt, 22 April 2023 - 02:46 PM.

#7 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,794 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 06:25 PM

qsn9jep.jpg

JcGwayu.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users