24 replies to this topic

#1 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 06:39 AM

Just finished reading this. An excellent read if anyone is looking for mini themed adventure. Quite amazing what they put the mini and themselves through. Happy to share it if anyone wants it posting on.

https://www.watersto...//9781425185084

Can anyone recommend any other good motoring based distance/touring books?

Edited by rich_959, 17 July 2019 - 06:41 AM.

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:44 AM

I really enjoyed that story, amazing how well they did and how their fortunes were like a roller coaster the whole way, but the last chapter (or last few pages) did bring a tear to the eye.

Other books ?

I can highly recommend 'Journeys with Gelignite Jack' by Evan Green. A trip done over the summer of 1964 - 1965 that was a figure 8 crossing of Australia to test some Oil for Castrol in an Austin 1800 and a Morris Mini Deluxe. A large part of the trip was across a region that in those days, 4WD didn't even dare go and certain no one went over summer !

'Spice of Life' - Biography of Gordon Spice. He was well known from the 60's to the 90's as a Racing Car Driver, including a stint for BMC's Work's Team, but he did so much more than this and also some trips through out of the way places.

There was an Aussie Character, Len Beadell, who surveyed and lead a small team over 8 years that 'built' most of Australia's Outback 'Highways' (tracks) over the 50's and 60's. He was quite a character and had a very humorous style of telling a yarn. ie, one day, they could see an odd looking 'dust' cloud behind their water cart, soon after, they realised it was actually on fire, Len, not one to miss an opportunity dived in to the back of his Land Rover to get his Mug. The others looked at him with a look of 'what do you think you're going to do with that?' After seeing the looks on their faces, he just simply announced " If I'm quick enough, I'll get a cuppa tea out of this " Len wrote about 6 books and a laugh from one end to the other. These covered his building of these highways and also Australia's Nuclear Bomb Sites for the British.

' First Overland' a story of 4 guys from University in the late 50's (I think) who traveled from London to Singapore in 2 Land Rovers. It is a great story, however, I don't feel it was (for the most part) well told in this book. A couple of that original crew are currently preparing for a Return trip in one of the original Land Rovers for next year.

Hopefully in about a years time ' That can't be Good' by Gregory E Rinder will be published. This will cover the period from 1969 and the start of the South Australian Moke Club and covers the clubs major trips from Easter of 1969 to 1997 (and Beyond). All in all, an utterly amazing story, and one that's largely unknown. Greg's style while covering many aspects, is also quite humorous. These trips, in to Australia's Outback, at a time when 4WDs were not at all popular and rarely went to plan, through circumstances outside of anyone's control, but through it all, those who took part keep spirits high and all had a good laugh to get them through where the few 4WD's out there couldn't.

'The Works Minis' by Peter Browning, covering highlights of the glory years of the BMC Works Team's Minis.

'Mini Minor to Asia Minor'. A great story and for a good cause. A young couple took a MKI 850 from London through Europe, the Middle East and in to Asia and raised money along the way for a Charity. Great story also with it's ups and downs.

#3 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:58 AM

I really enjoyed that story, amazing how well they did and how their fortunes were like a roller coaster the whole way, but the last chapter (or last few pages) did bring a tear to the eye.

Other books ?

I can highly recommend 'Journeys with Gelignite Jack' by Evan Green. A trip done over the summer of 1964 - 1965 that was a figure 8 crossing of Australia to test some Oil for Castrol in an Austin 1800 and a Morris Mini Deluxe. A large part of the trip was across a region that in those days, 4WD didn't even dare go and certain no one went over summer !

'Spice of Life' - Biography of Gordon Spice. He was well known from the 60's to the 90's as a Racing Car Driver, including a stint for BMC's Work's Team, but he did so much more than this and also some trips through out of the way places.

There was an Aussie Character, Len Beadell, who surveyed and lead a small team over 8 years that 'built' most of Australia's Outback 'Highways' (tracks) over the 50's and 60's. He was quite a character and had a very humorous style of telling a yarn. ie, one day, they could see an odd looking 'dust' cloud behind their water cart, soon after, they realised it was actually on fire, Len, not one to miss an opportunity dived in to the back of his Land Rover to get his Mug. The others looked at him with a look of 'what do you think you're going to do with that?' After seeing the looks on their faces, he just simply announced " If I'm quick enough, I'll get a cuppa tea out of this " Len wrote about 6 books and a laugh from one end to the other. These covered his building of these highways and also Australia's Nuclear Bomb Sites for the British.

' First Overland' a story of 4 guys from University in the late 50's (I think) who traveled from London to Singapore in 2 Land Rovers. It is a great story, however, I don't feel it was (for the most part) well told in this book. A couple of that original crew are currently preparing for a Return trip in one of the original Land Rovers for next year.

Hopefully in about a years time ' That can't be Good' by Gregory E Rinder will be published. This will cover the period from 1969 and the start of the South Australian Moke Club and covers the clubs major trips from Easter of 1969 to 1997 (and Beyond). All in all, an utterly amazing story, and one that's largely unknown. Greg's style while covering many aspects, is also quite humorous. These trips, in to Australia's Outback, at a time when 4WDs were not at all popular and rarely went to plan, through circumstances outside of anyone's control, but through it all, those who took part keep spirits high and all had a good laugh to get them through where the few 4WD's out there couldn't.

'The Works Minis' by Peter Browning, covering highlights of the glory years of the BMC Works Team's Minis.

'Mini Minor to Asia Minor'. A great story and for a good cause. A young couple took a MKI 850 from London through Europe, the Middle East and in to Asia and raised money along the way for a Charity. Great story also with it's ups and downs.

Gosh !     You have done a lot of reading.

I had a Biggles book once.

#4 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:06 AM

Thanks Moke! I'll check those out.

Deadsquare, I'm the same, usually doing two books a month. Half of them crime/thrillers (bit of escapism) and half of them fact based documentary/adventure stuff like above.

Must be getting old, as I find less and less stuff on TV worth watching and instead I try and get an hours reading per night. Having noisy kids makes me appreciate the quiet of having the TV off!

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:17 AM

,,, Half of them crime/thrillers (bit of escapism) and half of them fact based documentary/adventure stuff like above.

Sounds much like the stuff I like to poke my nose in to actually!  I also have a bit of Aussie True Crime stuff - truth is often stranger than fiction !

#6 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:20 AM

I love movies too, but tend to only watch them by recommendation now, after seeing too much that isn't worth watching!!

Just a 'bump' if anyone wants the book to read - pm me and I'll send it on. 

#7 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 17 July 2019 - 10:00 AM

I don't like books that haven't got lots of pictures.

I think it is because I've got a bit of diclexuare.

I have always loved being read to, and enjoyed Harry Potter on CD.

#8 nosbigkin

nosbigkin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 10:33 AM

Hi Rich,

Id like to read it, i use my train commute to london as my reading time.

Not sure how to pm though.

Nik

#9 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 11:05 AM

Ha ha, nothing wrong with liking pictures!!

Nik, I'll PM you - check your messages with the envelope icon at the top right. 

#10 nosbigkin

nosbigkin

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 12:02 PM

Thanks Rich, 

Ive replied now.

#11 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:47 AM

This book is available again if anyone wants it posting on? Just PM Nik above (nosbigkin)

#12 Leonberger

Leonberger

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 11:15 AM

Try The Journey That Never Was: Around the World in a Mini in the early 1960's

#13 ace01

ace01

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 03 September 2019 - 12:19 PM

Other books ?

Coincidentally I have just read this book.  Written by one of the participants, Tim Slessor.  Pretty good it was too.  It only cost me £3 from an autojumble.  As Spider says it tends to skip some bits, but a good read all the same.

#14 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 05:04 PM

Rich, I've just messaged nosbigkin for the book, just to let you know.

I haven't done much reading for ages and starting again. Also like crime stuff, Mark Billingham's stuff with Tom Thorne is my current read list.

I like the idea of a book rotation service though, a lazy person's library!

#15 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 07:00 PM

This is a good motoring journey book

https://www.amazon.c...p/dp/0812967267

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users