#1 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 05:19 PM

Hi All,

My Wife and I have just welcomed our second child into the family and as we already have a little girl and now a boy our two bedroom house is not going to be big enough for us long term.

At the moment I have a large double concrete sectional garage at the bottom of the garden which is great but in reality when we move we will probably end up with a house with a single garage (although if i'm lucky I might get a double).

Most of the houses in our price range have the garage integral to the house and not enough room to build another one, does this cause a problem? How noisy is it in the house when grinding, hammering and banging etc.?

If the garage has a door into the house does this cause a problem with smells (aerosol paint etc.?).

We have looked at extending the house but its not feasible as its a bungalow with a pyramid shape roof so there isn't much room up there and the foundations are inadequate to take the additional load without significant underpining.

We also can't extend backwards as we have a large conservetory which covers the whole back of the house and taking it down and moving it and then extending the house would be more expensive than moving.

#2 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 05:29 PM

Also our garage is a reasonable distance from the house and other houses, the houses in our area we are looking at are a lot closer to the neighbours, how do people get on with this in terms of noise?

Thanks for any advice.

#3 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Local Club: P&SMOC

Posted 17 July 2019 - 05:54 PM

Hi,

Our garage is attached to the house and to comply with building regs, the floor is lower than the house floor. This makes it safe is there was a spillage of fuel for example.

Also to comply with building regs, the door from the garage into the area between the kitchen and utility room is a fire door which closes itself.

Within reason, because the fire door is solidly built, it tends to keep all but the loudest noise from the house and I can run my Mini without exhaust fumes entering the house, although I always have the up and over door open for this. The fire door has an instumescent seal around it so is effectively airtight.

I find having the garage attached to the house handy when doing DIY as well, as it's not far to go to fetch tools etc!!

Hope this helps, Steve.

Edited by Stevie W, 17 July 2019 - 05:56 PM.

#4 Mikey205

Mikey205

Learner Driver

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Local Club: Midlands

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:43 PM

My garage is attached to our house. Only occasionally has the missus come out to complain about the grinder going but it’s been pretty late in the evening with the kids in bed. I don’t get any smells in the house though even though I run my 205 in there occasionally.
To be honest, if your looking for a new house, try to find one with a wide garage instead of length. Mine is 10 feet wide and I can get all the way around the mini easily when it’s in there. It makes life a lot easier when your welding!

Mike

Edit.

I’ve just seen your in Redditch, what area? I’m Winyates Green.

Edited by Mikey205, 17 July 2019 - 08:46 PM.

#5 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:04 PM

My house is a split level, which means the garage is under the bedrooms.......so far I've had no issues either with noise or fumes. BUT, I would not be painting or doing other things that produce a ton of fumes in there as they will seep into the house. 

If I'm going to be grinding or making a lot of noise I never work past 10 pm in deference to the neighbors, nor do I start before 7:30 am.

#6 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:40 PM

Thanks guys that's comforting to know, although I do occasionally do a bit of spraying (did some seats in vinyl paint recently) so that might become a no no.

mikey205, I'm in Webheath at the moment, probably going to look at Webheath, Headless Cross or Brockhill to be near to my daughter's school and the train station for work.

#7 kit352

kit352

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 06:31 AM

My only complaint about having the garage attached to the house is i tend to bring the filth in with me into the house.  When i had a detached garage i had the walk to ponder my filth and maybe do something about it.  Now i pull the oil plug and walk into the house for a glass of milk then back out to check on the oil draining without even wiping my hands.  Little smeary finger prints everywhere as a result.

Noise is not an issue but i admit is always in the back of my mind and i self impose limits on my working.  detached garage i would work in all night, attached garage maybe 8pm. I wont touch a power tool until 9am either as i dont want to wake my neighbors.  It would only take one or two complaints to the council to make your life hell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users