5 replies to this topic

#1 jamiejme

jamiejme

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 09:05 AM

I currently dont own a mini as I sold my last one not too long ago and miss it dearly...I have had a RX8 and a twin turbo GTO in the meantime so ive become somewhat addicted to more power and turbos. So basically I would like a turbo mini as my next one and was looking into all the options etc. for such a project. I have a lot of questions, some of them very basic to be honest but all/any help is appreciated!

1. Is there an engine that handles turbo best? i.e injection/carb, 1275/ 998 etc. ?

2. Are there are full kits out there for turbo'ing a mini? Or would I have to source parts individually and therefore what would everyone recommend?

3. How much does turbo'ing a mini cost? I have a budget of about £3k/£4k and i'm not sure if this is enough.

4. Would stock internals handle boost or would an engine rebuild be required?

These are the questions that currently come to mind but ive got zero knowledge in turbo minis and everything thats involved so if someone could point me in the direction of where to start looking or just general tips etc. that would help a lot!

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 18 July 2019 - 09:39 AM

It's a subject with so much scope it could almost sustain its own forum  :P

A lot depends on what you're after in power and practicality, but I'll start the ball rolling...

Post '85 998 City:

Has disc brakes and a  turbo would overcome the shortcomings of the tall gearing so you just have the benefits and don't run out of revs as quickly as you would with something shorter.

Fewer emissions headaches than later models and carb fuelling will be cheaper, you can still pinch bits like the petrol tank to access the injection car benefits.

You might realistically only just get above the 100hp mark, but that means you'll also avoid where the real expense is with turbo A Series - trying not to break stuff. 

#3 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 10:44 AM

I agree you really need a Mini post when the 12inch wheels and disc brakes came in as standard. The factory produced two turbo Minis (in effect). The hideously expensive and rare ERA Turbo Mini, and the MG Metro turbo using an A series transverse  A+ lump. If you want to stay pretty much stock, then try to source a MG Metro Turbo setup as this has the head (sodium filled bigger stemmed exhaust valves) low compression pistons, and all the electronics, turbo bits etc you will need.

To fit it in a mini you will need to cut the bulkhead to get the turbo in, and of course this means you need to reinforce the bulkhead area.

As stated above this is a huge topic.

I would only ever think of turbo ing a 1275 based unit,

#4 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 18 July 2019 - 03:34 PM

No need to cut the bulkhead, or use an old T3 blower.

#5 burchy35

burchy35

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 07:46 PM

Go and have a search around on turbominis.com there is an endless amount of info on A series forced induction.
I have a turbo mini and it's very addictive but its a costly conversion to make it reliable and useable, but worth it. And that's coming from experience. Go for it fella and keep us all up yo date.

#6 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 03:11 PM

998s can be turbodturbod, but really there's only any point if your trying to stay in a cc class with the 1.4 multiplier.

Turboing is pretty easy, main thing to work about is pistons, some of the standard ones are not up to it. Realistically the best thing is to budget a rebuild with omega pistons and some head work, and a fairly docile cam. On top of that you want an uprated diff and an intercooler as a minimum. After that it depends what figures your aiming for

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users