5 replies to this topic

#1 Barry Thomson

Barry Thomson

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 07:05 PM

Hi, my rover mini 1990 auto has 13 inch wheels on. I want to put the 12 inch minilites on it but it sits quite high. The shock absorbers on it say monroe original. Are these causing the height position? Can you please tell me the correct ones to bring it back to original height?

Thanks,

Barry

#2 Arthy

Arthy

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 07:18 PM

Have you had new rubber cones fitted recently? If so, this would be causing that, and they will settle after time.

Also do you have HI-Lo’s fitted? If so, you can adjust the height to your preference. To my knowledge I don’t think the shocks would be causing your high ride height, but I could be wrong!

Kind regards,
Arthur

#3 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 07:35 PM

Shocks dont influence height.

#4 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 18 July 2019 - 08:18 PM

They can, if they're gas pressure. I put a set on my Porsche 914 and it rode 2" higher for quite a while. However, till we hear back from the OP, I'm betting on new cones and/or hilos

Edited by Magneto, 18 July 2019 - 08:18 PM.

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 18 July 2019 - 08:24 PM

They can, if they're gas pressure. I put a set on my Porsche 914 and it rode 2" higher for quite a while. However, till we hear back from the OP, I'm betting on new cones and/or hilos

Never ever had a shock influence the ride height on a Mini or other. They are most are pressurised normally with air. The Gas ones tend just to be Nitrogen to help reduce cavitation.

#6 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 08:19 AM

The spring (rubber cone on a Mini) carries the mass of the car and will determine the ride height, the shock is there to control the movement of the spring dealing with oscillating forces etc. The shock should never affect the ride height ... but will if it is far too stiff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users