#1 bgrant570

bgrant570

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet

Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:18 PM

So I replaced my throw out bearing and I'm ready to reinstall everything.  Those bottom two bolts were nightmares to get out and I'm not looking forward to putting them back in.  So much so that I'm thinking of leaving them off.  Good idea?  Bad Idea?  Why or why not?  Thanks for the advice.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:22 PM

Not that hard to fit them. I always use all of them.

#3 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,844 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 21 July 2019 - 12:35 AM

The one that's around at about 8 O'clock I always leave out, it's almost at the back and the Subframe is just in the wrong / right place to make that one rather slow.

All the others are a breeze.

If the ones at the bottom are giving grief, jack the engine up further.

#4 bgrant570

bgrant570

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 12:37 AM

The one that's around at about 8 O'clock I always leave out, it's almost at the back and the Subframe is just in the wrong / right place to make that one rather slow.

All the others are a breeze.

If the ones at the bottom are giving grief, jack the engine up further.

Yeah, that one was the worst.

#5 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 06:21 AM

None of them are that difficult to replace.

#6 bgrant570

bgrant570

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:41 PM

Thanks guys.  I think I may leave the worst offender off (the one at about 8 o'clock, as moke spider described it).  Thanks for the advice as always.

#7 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:22 PM

I left one out personally, due to difficulty and it was so tight before i was extremely close to rounding it, the spanner was opening on it! 

#8 pogie

pogie

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Local Club: Essex MC

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:43 AM

I cut slots into the holes for those two bolts on my clutch covers and use washers on the bolt heads to spread the load.  That way you can wind the bolts most of the way by hand in before fitting the cover and then just slide it into place and tighten the bolts up the last few turns.

#9 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 22 July 2019 - 10:37 AM

I cut slots into the holes for those two bolts on my clutch covers and use washers on the bolt heads to spread the load.  That way you can wind the bolts most of the way by hand in before fitting the cover and then just slide it into place and tighten the bolts up the last few turns.

Clever idea.

I brazed a speedometer cable on to a cut down 1/4" drive socket, with a 5/16" nut on the other end.

Worked quite well, but it needed someone underneath to hold the bit of socket on the bolt.

#10 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 11:03 AM

Just put the engine on the work bench, much easier :D

#11 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 11:27 AM

I put them all back in, but I "copper slip" them and run them in the threads with the Wok still off so I know I can hand tighten them nice and easily the full length of the thread. Then when you do install the Wok you know you can hand tighten them easily then just a nip up with the spanner, they do not need to be mega tight. If you think about the leverage, the "bottom" bolts are pushed towards the engine by the clutch lever action, there is nothing trying to pull the bolts outwards  (unlike the top ones).

#12 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 11:32 AM

Just put the engine on the work bench, much easier :DWell

That doesn't help at all.

It just annoys the wife, having to hold up the rest of the car.

#13 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 11:34 AM

I put them all back in, but I "copper slip" them and run them in the threads with the Wok still off so I know I can hand tighten them nice and easily the full length of the thread. Then when you do install the Wok you know you can hand tighten them easily then just a nip up with the spanner, they do not need to be mega tight. If you think about the leverage, the "bottom" bolts are pushed towards the engine by the clutch lever action,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    there is nothing trying to pull the bolts outwards  (unlike the top ones).

Exactly.   That is why cutting a slot is such a neat idea.

Edited by DeadSquare, 22 July 2019 - 11:36 AM.

#14 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 12:07 PM

You are right its just my OCD.. I hate seeing bolts / washers etc missing as I then wonder what else might be missing or I might have forgotten to put back. I started to put my clutch back in my pickup yesterday and it took ages.. checking .. double checking.. making sure I have not "forgotten" anything... I checked the Primary Gear end float a good 30 times :-) and that Primary gear oil seal was treated like a King before and during installation

#15 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 01:30 PM

You are right its just my OCD.. I hate seeing bolts / washers etc missing as I then wonder what else might be missing or I might have forgotten to put back. I started to put my clutch back in my pickup yesterday and it took ages.. checking .. double checking.. making sure I have not "forgotten" anything... I checked the Primary Gear end float a good 30 times :-) and that Primary gear oil seal was treated like a King before and during installation

BMC sent out replacement primary gears with a a protective plastic sleeve over the oil seal surface.

Lightly greased, this was easily pushed through the oil seal, and of course, slipped perfectly over the primary gear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users