3 replies to this topic

#1 Rallye67

Rallye67

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 04:59 PM

hi , just redoing front end on my 98 cooper , grill was a bit shabby so took all chrome rails off <Nitromoored  the back & wire brushed it  surprised it was so rusty , it will clean up  , & paint but just wondering if its worth it ?

think they must be made out of old Fiat Stradas !! :ohno:

Attached Files

#2 OhhEnnEmm

OhhEnnEmm

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:39 PM

I personally wouldn't take on the task... But that's because for ME it wouldn't be worth it.

I have taken on many projects though that others would deem not worth it...

Comes down to personal preference really, if you know you can get it done, consider how long you think it'll take you and if it's then worth it for YOU...

Best advice I can give unfortunately,

Best wishes.

#3 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 06:53 AM

I would. Although your grill looks a little different to my '98 Cooper grill, I suspect the quality will be similar ... which is much better than most of the aftermarket grills. I had to refurbish mine, it literally just fell apart due to Rover having used pretty pathetic 3mm pop rivets to hold on what are quite substantial stainless steel grill lats, I think most of the current grills available use a thinner gauge stainless. I drilled all the holes out to 4mm before sorting the rust and riveting it all back together, better than new now.

#4 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:39 PM

I agree with Bobbins, New parts are really crap. I redid a black 11 bars grill to replace the previous owner 9 bar aftermarker thing. It was not even straight.

So I would remake it too. But that's just me :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users