Photo
- - - - -

1983 Mini Van Front Seats What Will Fit?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RaysGarage

RaysGarage

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:13 PM

Hello

We've bought a 1983 Mini 95 van which has had a lot of bodywork repairs done to a high standard but the finer details and mechanical side of things need a little bit of attention.

The front seats were replaced with Mayfair seats when the bodywork was done by the pervious owner.

But had to be fitted as passenger to drivers and drivers to passenger so the seat release pulls didn't hit the door pockets.

So we're looking for some replacements and just wondering what will fit? Would want low back period seats.

The floor of the van has got the bars for the seat catches bolted in.

I've seen the pulls are further forward on some seats. Does this change on year or model?

Thanks for your help

Daniel

Attached Files

#2 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:36 PM

Speedwell Cub seats look like they'll go in a van nicely, might be worth considering.

#3 RaysGarage

RaysGarage

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 06:52 PM

I was thinking what original Mini seats will fit. I think it's the recliner lever or seat release pull that fouls on the door pocket. 

That's why the pervious owner fitted the Mayfair seats passenger seat to drivers side and drivers seat to passenger side.

Here's a picture of the side of the drivers seat.

Attached Files

Edited by RaysGarage, 24 July 2019 - 08:13 PM.

#4 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 08:49 PM

If I remember correctly, the earlier Mk3 Mini saloon and Clubman seats did not have the fixing bars on the floors - you just tipped the seats forward. The later Mk4s (rubber mounted "big bolt" subframes) from 76-onward certainly had the bars as my old '77 had them. I am not sure about the levers though. It doesn't make sense to me for BL or whatever they were called at the time make a different seat for the van rather than use whatever was available. Mind you they introduced cars to compete against each other so who knows?

I would be looking for Mk3-onwards seats without headrests.

#5 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 09:24 PM

My van seats have no locking mechanism but the '82 model pickup I had years ago did have the locking mechanism as standard fitment.  Not sure how it cleared the door pockets but it did.

#6 RaysGarage

RaysGarage

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:24 PM

Attached File  Van seat.jpg   43.83K   0 downloads

Managed to get some replacement seats in the van.

Not sure what they came from but have the safety catches with pull releases and are also recliners with the lever on the opposite side so don't hit the door pocket. Although the recline lever is very close to the seat belt catch.

Maybe we'll get they recovered at some point, an improvement over the Mayfair seats anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users