Photo

What Influenced You To Style Your Mini The Way You Did?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 M700FGT

M700FGT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 24 July 2019 - 07:50 PM

So last year i brought another classic Mini. Unlike my first one that was a beaten up 1993 Silver Mayfair, this one was a 1997 Cooper Sport Pack in Kingfisher Blue.

It was untidy and had some questionable work done, but i could see the potential. Im not a mechanic, so i had to get a fair amount done through a garage, but over the last 18 months i have i learned so much and I'm getting a little braver every time. 

So the plan is to drive it for a few years while im working on my house and spending time with my young family, then as money improves i will get the bodywork completely restored. The problem is, how to i style it..........

With my 1993 Mini it didn't matter, although it was a 1275 it was only a mayfair so i could do anything i wanted to it. This time I'm really struggling if i should keep it stock or customised. I love the look of the sport pack and its what i always wanted, but i also love MK1 gilles and rear lights, custom wheels and mirrors......... I especially love the David Brown Mini and i appreciate its not to everyones taste.

I had started customising but then my wife brought me a Corgie Model of my Mini and i though - This looks so cool, am i doing the right thing taking it away from the stock look, or should i put it back to stock and keep the genuine Cooper Sports Pack style. After all, it is a fairly rare colour for a Cooper - I've only ever seen one other like it. 

So what did you decide and what influenced you to style your Mini how you did? 

Attached Files

• Attached File  8.jpg   63.73K   3 downloads
  • Attached File  1.jpg   96.1K   3 downloads
  • Attached File  3.jpg   74.12K   2 downloads
  • Attached File  2.jpg   91.49K   4 downloads
  • Attached File  s-l1600.jpg   41.83K   5 downloads
  • Attached File  4.jpg   91.41K   5 downloads

#2 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • Local Club: Not MINI friendly

Posted 24 July 2019 - 07:59 PM

Nice! 

Controversial putting a photo of a MINI next to the Mini on here mate  :thumbsup:  I don't understand why people say the new MINI is not a Mini. Look at that last photo & tell me Issigonis would not immediately recognise it as his creation. 

#3 M700FGT

M700FGT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 08:06 PM

Nice! 

Controversial putting a photo of a MINI next to the Mini on here mate  :thumbsup:  I don't understand why people say the new MINI is not a Mini. Look at that last photo & tell me Issigonis would not immediately recognise it as his creation. 

Don't start them off  :D

I love my classic, but at the moment its just not reliable enough for long journeys. Ive had the BMW Mini for 8 years and it still makes me smile down the country lanes. Most people who moan about them have never actually driven one. Im not a fan of the later models, but the Mk1 BMW has so many similar faults to the original in design, its easy to remember its a Mini  :-)

#4 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • Local Club: Not MINI friendly

Posted 24 July 2019 - 08:16 PM

100% agree. The R50 (and later R53) are IMHO the best modern Mini's, especially the Cooper S... that supercharger whine is addictive  :D

#5 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 09:30 PM

If they named the MINI the MAXI instead I could have accepted that.

#6 M700FGT

M700FGT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 09:37 PM

Guys although i appreciate everyones thoughts one the BMW mini, the post is called: 

What Influenced You To Style Your Mini The Way You Did?

#7 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:05 PM

I'd say modify your car as you see fit.  Most modifications are reversible.  Just make sure you hang on to original parts if you remove them so the vehicle can be returned to original by you or a future owner.

I really like the way a Mini looks from the factory but I can't resist changing things so I try to balance the two opposing influences which creates a unique look.

I too like what David Brown have done with the Mini, crazy money but very well executed, if only Rover had evolved the Mini like that.

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 24 July 2019 - 11:04 PM

Didn’t

#9 M700FGT

M700FGT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 07:03 PM

I'm surprised more people haven't replied on here - Styling is a big thing for a mini!

Im genuinely interested in why people styled the way they did and what recommendations they have.

Did you do it for cost, originality, performance, sale value.........

#10 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 09:29 AM

When I got my Mini it was tidy but had already been modified. Initially, I thought it would be nice to take it back to stock. Then I got hold of some repro Dunlop D1s and I thought, wow, the black accents on the red paint looked good. So black and red it was. I decided all period mods from the 70s from a GTS would work nicely. Got some mk1 Cooper S bucket seats, an early Clubman steering wheel, S brakes, mkII taillights, a GTS gearbox and twin carbs too. It's far from perfect, but the eventual goal is to make it look older than it actually is. So like an early 70s Mini instead of an 83 car. 

Before

ktV4bDL.jpg

After. (most recent decent image I have of the car)

EEk2bu2.jpg

#11 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 11:57 AM

QOGunJH.jpg

This is how the car was when I purchased it, black roof, bumpers, wheel arches, orange wheels and massive high back seats.

ipaMkb5.jpg

Mid way through its changes trying to get it back to its original, wheels have been painted silver, still has the arches but now painted body colour, roof and some trims are still black.

HYIEBdJ.jpg

How it looks now, I always liked the original look so the plan once I purchased it was to get it back to standard as and when funds were available.

#12 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 28 July 2019 - 12:05 PM

I liked the colour scheme of the final production mini cooper sport and i like 13x7s. Worked for me nicely!

#13 Albino_Hedgehog

Albino_Hedgehog

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Local Club: Solihull Mini Classic Club

Posted 28 July 2019 - 02:04 PM

Mine is still being influenced!

Haven't got any pics to show, but think jap/MK2 blend, with modern features! ?

#14 M700FGT

M700FGT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 02:11 PM

I'd say modify your car as you see fit.  Most modifications are reversible.  Just make sure you hang on to original parts if you remove them so the vehicle can be returned to original by you or a future owner.

I really like the way a Mini looks from the factory but I can't resist changing things so I try to balance the two opposing influences which creates a unique look.

I too like what David Brown have done with the Mini, crazy money but very well executed, if only Rover had evolved the Mini like that.

Yeah that's exactly what i had planned, except some Mods are not possible to put back. Mk1 grille and rear lights would be permanent as changes to the rear body and bonnet would be needed. 

I agree about the David Brown. I love the mix of classic car with a modern twist. The interior looks awesome and well built. I love a bit of Rover, but they would never have understood this and just tried to make it as cheap as possible. 

When I got my Mini it was tidy but had already been modified. Initially, I thought it would be nice to take it back to stock. Then I got hold of some repro Dunlop D1s and I thought, wow, the black accents on the red paint looked good. So black and red it was. I decided all period mods from the 70s from a GTS would work nicely. Got some mk1 Cooper S bucket seats, an early Clubman steering wheel, S brakes, mkII taillights, a GTS gearbox and twin carbs too. It's far from perfect, but the eventual goal is to make it look older than it actually is. So like an early 70s Mini instead of an 83 car. 

Before

ktV4bDL.jpg

After. (most recent decent image I have of the car)

EEk2bu2.jpg

Loving the mods on this. Subtle and in keeping with the period. The new wheels suite the car much better. 

QOGunJH.jpg

This is how the car was when I purchased it, black roof, bumpers, wheel arches, orange wheels and massive high back seats.

ipaMkb5.jpg

Mid way through its changes trying to get it back to its original, wheels have been painted silver, still has the arches but now painted body colour, roof and some trims are still black.

HYIEBdJ.jpg

How it looks now, I always liked the original look so the plan once I purchased it was to get it back to standard as and when funds were available.

Good choice on the wheels, they looked like clashed before. I agree about the seats, that's going to be one of my issues as my seats are looking very untidy. The drivers seat was so worn at the bottom it collapsed - luckily i had some MDF and cable ties on had. I have covers over them, but i do need to do something with them. I may just they them repaired and re-covered at some point. 

I liked the colour scheme of the final production mini cooper sport and i like 13x7s. Worked for me nicely!

Yeah so do i. I always loved the red as it seems to make the later Mini's look very sporty.

When i brought mine, i had always planned to change the colour - but it always seems to get allot of attention and comments - so i may at least  keep the pain in the original colour. 

Attached Files

#15 M700FGT

M700FGT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 02:18 PM

I actually just realised i started reading your rebuild the other night. Totally inspiring and i love the look you have gone for. The exterior looks original except for the wheels and few subtle mods. 

I actually liked the white wheels it came with, but i imagined they would be a pain to clean all the time. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users