Hello And Thanks For The Add

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mrbox43

mrbox43
  • Noobies
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 04:43 PM

Hello everyone from the US. Do to a strange sequence of event I am now the new owner of this 75 mini. It runs and drives but it definitely needs some love and care. So i figured joining a few forums would be a good place to start because i do not know much about these cars. the first thing i need to do is figure out what engine is in the car. i know it was swapped by a previous owner and the person that i acquired the car from believes its a 1275cc engine but he was not sure, i went to look at the plate on the engine but it is no longer there. also im wondering if these motors have a timing chain because the car makes a weird rattiling when you accelerate that seems to smooth out the higher you rev the engine.

any help would be much appreciated I am super excited to own this car and look forward to learn more about it. here are some pics.Attached File  image1 (2).jpeg   140.69K   0 downloadsAttached File  image2 (2).jpeg   158.53K   0 downloadsAttached File  image3 (2).jpeg   136.79K   2 downloadsAttached File  image4.jpeg   136.17K   0 downloadsAttached File  image5.jpeg   154.55K   1 downloadsAttached File  image6.jpeg   125.74K   3 downloadsAttached File  image7.jpeg   131.91K   2 downloadsAttached File  image1.jpeg   124.7K   1 downloadsAttached File  image2.jpeg   110.87K   0 downloads

#2 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 07:14 PM

Welcome to the forum.  Congratulations on your acquisition.

You say a 75 Mini.  Do you mean 1975?  It has a lot of later parts on it.

The cylinder head is a big bore one so it's likely the engine is a 1275.

1275 engines have 2 core plugs in the block above the clutch housing.  Also on the block under the manifolds the small bore engines have two removeable tappet chest covers whereas the 1275 engines do not have them (unless you're lucky enough to have a Cooper S block).

Yes they do have timing chains and they often rattle, especially at idle.

#3 Shep76S

Shep76S

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Local Club: L&SMOC

Posted 04 August 2019 - 10:31 AM

You are right to cover the number/registration plates, it looks very much like a 90's era car to me. I'm guessing the states still has the pre 1976 import law..........

#4 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 04 August 2019 - 04:09 PM

The cylinder head is certainly a 1275's and it has a clutch housing breather as you'd expect. There is a chance it could be a 998. Tappet chest covers, or rather a lack of 'em will settle it. Still looks like a nice Mini, but useful to know its true age for parts and maintenance.

#5 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 04:20 PM

Looks like a 1275 engine, can't see any part of the car that dates from 1975 though, more like 90's as others have said.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users