21 replies to this topic

#16 ACDodd

ACDodd

Up Into Fourth

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 11:17 AM

It relates in that they are generally not available. The vast majority use mode materials which do not respond to the same oiling technique.

I also fit the deva type originals without soaking. I use a heavy prelube.

Ac

#17 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,931 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 04 August 2019 - 11:42 AM

The factory advice for fitting new Primary Gears (which already have the bushes fitted) is to only give the Crank a smear of Engine Oil

3yCktFe.jpg

Any other lube used, will in time, be washed out by the Oil that's in the engine in any case.

Advice I received in recent time from a Bearing Engineer, while looking in to the cause of failures and suitability of the new fangled bushes (ie non Deva) suggested some heavy lubes can close off the pores of the Deva material resulting in failure of the Bush, however in the case of these 'failing' they won't damage the crankshaft they are fitted to.

#18 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 04 August 2019 - 01:05 PM

Did the factory engines have their bushes soaked in this manner?

There would have been no point in using this material for the bush, if it were not correctly treated at the factory.

Do you mean, correctly treated at the factory which made the bush/primary gear or correctly treated at the factory where the primary gear was placed onto the crankshaft?

"bush/primary gear"

Longbridge and Cowley just monotonously assembled what was laid out in front of them.

#19 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 01:17 PM

Did the factory engines have their bushes soaked in this manner?

There would have been no point in using this material for the bush, if it were not correctly treated at the factory.

Do you mean, correctly treated at the factory which made the bush/primary gear or correctly treated at the factory where the primary gear was placed onto the crankshaft?

"bush/primary gear"

Longbridge and Cowley just monotonously assembled what was laid out in front of them.

So if that was the case then they shouldn't need soaking in oil before using. 

Quite a few people though are saying that in their experience I will get better results if I do soak it in oil prior to fitting.

Is it a case then of good/better/best with good being fitting dry, better being a smear of oil and best being soaking in oil?

#20 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 04 August 2019 - 01:58 PM

Unfortunately, as an early Mini enthusiast, my workshop manual is issue 4 (as a member of the Mini se7en club I was sent the Cooper and Cooper S issue 8 updates), and Section A.30, is:-      CRANKSHAFT PRIMARY GEAR  (lubricated bushes), and the final paragraph is "The crankshaft primary gear is pressure-lubricated through a drilling in the crankshaft"

I do not ever recall noticing any special instruction that came with a Diva about preparations prior to fitting.

IMHO, BMC were not going to send out a part with a year guarantee that wasn't either ready for use or carried instructions.

Having said all that, my childhood engineering interest was in an agricultural / marine environment, where I washed of items in the paraffin bath for inspection;  the small parts that were to be reused were put in 3lb floor bags and hung in an oil bath, a habit that I emulate to this day.

#21 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:16 PM

Does the oil need to be heated for the aforementioned soaking or will a cold soaking be sufficient?  It could avoid marital disharmony.

#22 imack

imack

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:49 PM

I've only ever soaked them in oil at room temperature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users