#1 miniman86

miniman86

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
  • Local Club: smag, Waltham Abby

Posted 02 August 2019 - 02:54 PM

long story short, i wanted to get my pickup IMM ready. done all the welding, brakes etc. been off the road since January 1995. i had it running briefly in 2013 and it seemed okay. but on getting her running last weekend, i had hardly any oil pressure (from cold) and also there was an awful rattling from the bottom end. so i thought quick fix, to swap for a modified 1100 i have in the garage. engine has fantastic oil pressure, & pulls like a train. but smokes like a trooper. I did look into using some slick 50, but after reading on here i don't think it'd be a good idea.

So my question is, is there anything i can do, other than keep topping the oil up constantly. just to get through this years show season, before i take the engine back out and rehone/rebore?

Thanks,

Alex

#2 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 03:14 PM

When does it smoke, on start up, or all the time, does it get better or worse when the engine is warmed up. Is it a real fog haze smoke that will get you a tug from the "establishment" or is it just a light puff. How far do you have to go to get to IMM, and do you have breakdown cover ?

#3 miniman86

miniman86

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
  • Local Club: smag, Waltham Abby

Posted 02 August 2019 - 03:44 PM

its a light haze that's constant. 180 miles each way to the imm, and yeah have breakdown haha. I'm not driving the pickup there, my partner is.

#4 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 03:55 PM

If its constant its probably bore / ring wear, but if its a light haze, I would just bring an oil can with me. I have a 1981 pickup that does smoke a little when gunned with its heady 998 35 BHP, but I have convinced myself that these engine were "designed" to burn a small amount of oil and to leak a small amount. Someone once famously said if there is no oil under it there is no oil in it. My dad (God rest his soul) worked for a BL main dealer as a mechanic and they didn't put oil in the new cars in the show rooms until they were sold as you could gtee it would piss out all over the carpet. Not a good advert for a new car :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users