#1 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 04:07 PM

Hi All,

I have recently purchased a 1991 Cooper, I have been looking one for a while and was lucky enough to find one.

A few questions:

- It has 145s on it, but they need replacing. I quite like the OEM skinny look, however might be wise to upgrade to 165s, thoughts?

- Wing mounted radio aerial has had it, is this Minispares one the best replacement as per original?

http://www.minispare...Aerials/MSA1118

#2 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 04:10 PM

I run 165 Yoko's and like them very much...they fill the wheel arch better and look more like a scaled up 10" with regard to the way they sit in the arch. I suppose it depends if you want to keep it 100% original or not.

#3 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 04:28 PM

I also like the Yokohama A539 165/65-12 tyres on the standard wheels, a big improvement in grip and safety although check the clearance on the rear shocks with 165 tyres as they usually can do with a 3 mm spacer for extra clearance. They used to be fitted as standard to Cooper handling packs back in the early 90`s.

#4 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 04:32 PM

Thanks both, much appreciated!

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 02 August 2019 - 06:00 PM

You will like the car on 165/60x12.

I have a 1990 Cooper which I am just converting onto 10" wheels an removing the arch extensions. Wheels will be 5" x 10 BWA with 165/70 X 10 Yokohama tyres. It will have the over-the-wheel arches chrome trim and Mk.1 grille, etc.
In addition it will have the chrome trim strips over the door frames similar to the Mk 1 Cooper & S.

#6 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 06:31 PM

I have a 1990 Cooper which I am just converting onto 10" wheels an removing the arch extensions. Wheels will be 5" x 10 BWA with 165/70 X 10 Yokohama tyres. It will have the over-the-wheel arches chrome trim and Mk.1 grille, etc.
In addition it will have the chrome trim strips over the door frames similar to the Mk 1 Cooper & S.

Are you going to use the proper chrome expensive surrounds or have you found an economic alternative? (door surrounds)

Edited by whistler, 02 August 2019 - 06:31 PM.

#7 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 07:24 PM

Thank you.

Ironically one of the reasons I got the Cooper was because I wanted a better ride than my Mk1 on 10" wheels!

#8 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 09:03 PM

The 10" wheels will always give the best ride because the depth of the tyre sidewalls is greatest with a 10". The rolling radius on both is virtually the same. The larger the wheel diameter, the lower the tyre profile and the more harsh the ride.

On the subject of the door frame chrome, I don't have a cheap option and will have to pay the going rate. Unless someone has a low-cost option of good quality that is.

#9 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 06:13 PM

Presume I just need 3mm spacers on the rear only?

I also like the Yokohama A539 165/65-12 tyres on the standard wheels, a big improvement in grip and safety although check the clearance on the rear shocks with 165 tyres as they usually can do with a 3 mm spacer for extra clearance. They used to be fitted as standard to Cooper handling packs back in the early 90`s.

#10 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 06:57 PM

The best thing to do is to get and fit the tyres, they do a trial fit to see if there is clearance between the tyre and the radius arm. That will show you whether you need spacers and you will be able to measure the thickness of spacer needed.

You might need a 5mm spacer.

#11 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:25 PM

On the subject of the door frame chrome, I don't have a cheap option and will have to pay the going rate. Unless someone has a low-cost option of good quality that is.

I fitted elf/hornet chrome door frame trims to my car decades ago when you could pick them up for peanuts.

Attached Files

• Attached File  th.jpeg   35.92K   6 downloads

#12 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:59 PM

Presume I just need 3mm spacers on the rear only?

Beardy,

I had no issues with clearance at all, but then I had already put gas adjustables all round with hi-lows. Std height shocks and the ride height set pretty much as it was out of the factory...maybe a squidge lower.

#13 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 08:11 PM

copy that, be easier to know in advance, I don't really want to be driving home from tyre place with rubbing!  if I know in advance I can order spacers before getting tyres! MInispares website says 3mm spacers don't require bigger nuts, so if over 3mm, I presume I'd need longer wheel nuts!?

The best thing to do is to get and fit the tyres, they do a trial fit to see if there is clearance between the tyre and the radius arm. That will show you whether you need spacers and you will be able to measure the thickness of spacer needed.

You might need a 5mm spacer.

#14 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 08:49 PM

Another question, the rad cap is pretty crappy, so I will replace, it has "20psi" on it, can't see same one on Minispares, but found it on eBay, is this the correct one for the car?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/151042416415

#15 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 08:54 PM

When going from a 145 section width to a 165, the difference in tyre width is 20 mm. Half of this, i.e. 10 mm will be towards the radius arm. Fit your 145 wheel/tyre combination, then measure the existing clearance. If, for example, you have 15 mm clearance you should have 5 mm clearance without spacers when fitting a 165 tyre. However, not all tyres have the same profile for a given size, so you need to allow a bit of tolerance. If you do have a nominal 5 mm clearance with the 165 tyres, fitting a 3 mm spacer will almost certainly be fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users