22 replies to this topic

#16 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 12:22 PM

Its worth a spacer regardless for safety reasons and just because the tyre clears when cold and stationary it doesn`t mean it won`t foul in use.

My 1990 Cooper has 8 mm spacers with longer studs as my rear shocks were quite chunky but if you have standard sized rear shocks the 3 mm spacer will be fine and if JCG supplied it with the handling kit back in the day its because it was necessary.

As for the cap   http://www.minispare...sic/GRC207.aspx  is the one you want as you have a small expansion tank. Its probably about the same price too as MS will post small items quite cheaply.

#17 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 09:41 AM

Thank you very much on both counts, odd that someone has fitted a 20Psi one!

#18 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 10:44 AM

Another question, I may need a new exhaust, as it looks a bit rusty. I guess I could go RC40 route, but what is the closest to OEM spec?

#19 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 11:24 AM

copy that, be easier to know in advance, I don't really want to be driving home from tyre place with rubbing!  if I know in advance I can order spacers before getting tyres! MInispares website says 3mm spacers don't require bigger nuts, so if over 3mm, I presume I'd need longer wheel nuts!?

The best thing to do is to get and fit the tyres, they do a trial fit to see if there is clearance between the tyre and the radius arm. That will show you whether you need spacers and you will be able to measure the thickness of spacer needed.

You might need a 5mm spacer.

Back in the day, I had a standard MPI Cooper and I changed the tyres for 165's. They were fine on normal running, but rubbed the arch at once side only on the rear, when chucking it into a corner. It was fine on the other side (good old Rover). I seem to remember adding small spacers and all was well. I guess the construction of each car is slightly different. 

#20 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 04:09 PM

I need a couple of new steering rack gaiters. From looking online I can’t seem to see what size I need and I’m not by the car. Anyone know what size I need on 91 Cooper?

#21 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:40 PM

I need a couple of new steering rack gaiters. From looking online I can’t seem to see what size I need and I’m not by the car. Anyone know what size I need on 91 Cooper?

I usually buy from my local parts suppliers, give them the registration and they do the hard work. I have a spare rack that's easily reached, if I remember tomorrow I will have a measure of the gaitors used on that

#22 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 02:30 PM

Local parts supplier said all they have is 4.5", I got mine out of the car today, and they are around 6" long, Minispares said these would be ok:

http://www.minispare...ic/GSV1004.aspx

But when I got off the phone, I realised it says they are different sizes and mine are both the same size. Keen to get my order in, I ordered these GSV1056, as they have 10 flutes in the photo, even though it says they are 7.5", they look identical to mine in the photo.

http://www.minispare...ic/GSV1056.aspx

However from further research I think the photo is wrong as GSV1056 have 15 flutes at Somerford.

http://www.somerford...CKvXKFViXJjkYy2

This is what I currently have, 6", 10 flutes, thoughts.

boot.jpg

When I measure on the car, it is 6" from the back to the front lip, thoughts?

Edited by beardylondon, 07 August 2019 - 06:22 PM.

#23 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:45 AM

I fitted the 7.5" ones no problem!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users