#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:38 AM

"MPs have urged for the introduction of controversial E10 fuel by 2020 at the latest, believing that adding more ethanol to the petrol sold in the UK would cut carbon by the equivalent of taking 700,000 cars off the road and help the struggling British biofuel industry. That’s despite E10 being potentially harmful to older vehicles and leaving owners out of pocket as they must fork out for costlier alternatives.
E10 is a biofuel made up of 90 per cent regular unleaded and 10 per cent ethanol – hence its name. Unlike regular unleaded petrol, ethanol absorbs carbon dioxide, partially offsetting greenhouse gas emissions. However, while E10 has become widely available in several other counties and now accounts for 47 per cent of the petrol market in France, it’s yet to be made available in the UK despite the debate over its sale rumbling on for several years."
https://classicsworl...-year-mps-urge/

#2 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:54 AM

Joy of joys.

It may mean some of the fuel comes from a "sustainable" source but I wonder if that makes up for the increase in CO2 from the higher fuel consumption that results from using E10?

#3 Pete - W.Sussex

Pete - W.Sussex

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:55 AM

God help us all!

#4 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 08:00 AM

Dont worry, some smart person will invent an enzyme or bacteria we can add to the fuel to convert that nastey ethanol to sweet sweet co2 :) 

#5 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 11:06 AM

I've just been reading about how even though modern vehicles are designed to be compatible with E10, in real world conditions the injectors on engines with direct injection can suffer from deposit formation due to the increased presence of ethanol in the fuel.

So there you are, classic or modern there are problems.

I understand there was uproar when the fuel was introduced in Germany.

There's this from 2011:  https://www.spiegel....l-a-749199.html

#6 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 03 August 2019 - 11:08 AM

Their last meddle was to add Palm oil to diesel, which has resulted in the removal of the Orangutans' jungle.

#7 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 11:14 AM

Where are we going to grow all the crops for ethanol production?  On land needed for food production/tree planting/housing/solar farms?

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 03 August 2019 - 11:53 AM

E10 is available everywhere else already. Along with all the other unleaded versions.

#9 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 02:24 PM

Modern fuels are getting even further away from what classics were supposed to run on

https://www.telegrap...-and-bikes.html

fuel lines are the main worry for mini owners

#10 Orange-Phantom

Orange-Phantom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 03:25 PM

Yeah it's going to be a problem that gets worse.  A fuel that is much poorer for the classic car brigade and also you get worse MPG from it too.  Looks like everyone will be buying Millers VSPE from now on!

This is the problem when politicians who know very little enact policies just to look like they are doing something.  The incessant global expansion, the need for GDP to grow year on year by at least 3% are the actual major issues that get swept under the carpet.  Another case would be to stop shipping foods all around the world.  I picked up a bag of spuds the other day.. transported all the way from Israel...

I'm becoming more cynical as I'm getting older and cannot but help think this is more about money than it is CO2.  They never talk about the biggest greenhouse gas which is Water Vapour!  But hey we can't tax that!

#11 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 04:14 PM

They never talk about the biggest greenhouse gas which is Water Vapour! But hey we can't tax that![/background][/left][/size][/font][/color]

Combustion of gasoline (stoic conditions) :

25 O2 + 2 C8H18 → 16 CO2 + 18 H2O + energy

Water...vapor... ?‍♂️

#12 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 06:04 PM

I'm touring in France at the moment and E10 fuel appears to be standard at most 'local' filling stations. Shell, BP stations seem to be offering E5 either instead of or in addition to E10.

#13 g0myw

g0myw

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:23 PM

yes more headaches for us ... we have a local garage that still supplies 4* yes that stuff, but pricey..

#14 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 08:09 PM

Modern fuels are getting even further away from what classics were supposed to run on

https://www.telegrap...-and-bikes.html

fuel lines are the main worry for mini owners

I like this line from the last paragraph in that Telegraph article:

"No doubt this will be welcomed by those who believe that throwing things away every few years will somehow save the planet..."

#15 ACDodd

ACDodd

Up Into Fourth

• Mini Docs
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 09:41 PM

Most of you have been using E5 for a while now anyway. It's fine as long as your engine is tuned for it and you have the correct rubber specification fitted.

You have to remember even now, 90% of the cars that turn up to me at car shows are badly tuned. If this is common I can see that many will have problems when in fact a few simple changes mean that performance can actually improve.

Ac

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users