32 replies to this topic

#16 JakeJakeJake

JakeJakeJake

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:22 PM

Just give us E85 like they have in the states, 105-100 octane and made from corn.

You get less MPG but it's cheaper, sounds like great stuff so long as you're tuned for it.

#17 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:04 PM

Yep, this! the amount of cars out there that have had "upgrades" stuck on them with little to no though on getting them set up properly....  throwing away far more power and efficiency than a few of ethanol in the tank....  also on the ruber line front, you really should replace your rubber fuel lines at a decent interval anyway...

Most of you have been using E5 for a while now anyway. It's fine as long as your engine is tuned for it and you have the correct rubber specification fitted.

You have to remember even now, 90% of the cars that turn up to me at car shows are badly tuned. If this is common I can see that many will have problems when in fact a few simple changes mean that performance can actually improve.

Ac

#18 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:25 PM

I agree it's highly likely that a correctly set up car on E10 will normally produce more power than a badly set up car on E5 however if your car is setup perfectly on E5, it's only going to be worse - even when correctly set up - on E10 as E10 has less energy in it than E5.

#19 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:08 PM

like comparing apples and banana's though, although the higher E rated fuel has less calorific value, if you utilize the extra octane rating then you'll be making more power, although with more fuel.

I guess miy point is rather than the running issues, and fuel hose problems that most people are scared of, the reall problem is going to be that the govenment will bend you over on pricing of it and screw more money out of you at the pump.

#20 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:52 PM

on a related subject, i found this page quite informative

http://www.volksbolt...aq/fuelhose.htm

#21 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:27 PM

I didn't think E10 was going to be of any higher an octane rating than E5.

#22 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:29 PM

This too is useful:  https://fbhvc.co.uk/fuels

#23 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:21 PM

This too is useful:  https://fbhvc.co.uk/fuels

cheers.

the QinetiQ report on thevolksbolts page makes for an interesting read

http://www.volksbolt...studyreport.pdf

#24 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:23 AM

the QinetiQ report on thevolksbolts page makes for an interesting read

http://www.volksbolt...studyreport.pdf

Now that's a thorough report.

The main issues raised in it which should concern us are compatibility of ethanol blends with the materials used in fuel tanks and carburettors.

Interesting also how even with modern closed loop fuel control systems, although the system can compensate when operating in closed loop mode, when the vehicle is operating outside of closed loop operation the effect of increased ethanol is still to lean out the mixture.

I wonder how much information will be made available to inform people with vehicles which may have compatibility problems. 

Will E10 just arrive at the pumps with a slightly lower price than E5 so most people who are none the wiser will stick it in their tanks without being informed about the potential problems.

And as usual those with least will struggle the most...

"It should be emphasised that for some older vehicles, or small market value, the required modifications to make the vehicles compatible with E10 or repairs after damage by E10 will be such that the vehicle is beyond economic repair. Hence the effect of will fall disproportionately on the poorer members of society who run these older vehicles and cannot afford to purchase newer more expensive vehicles."

The article could have done with being proof read though!

#25 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:51 AM

While not E10 specific, there are some things to be aware of with these modern fuels;-

rCPxcDn.jpg

uKX0Re4.jpg

One thing I've noticed (and I had another bulletin from BP on this too) is that the Ethanol Fuels have a high water content. I've seen it cause rusting of fuel tanks, corroding of fuel lines, corrosion in carbs. I've also found (in other vehicles) it gives significantly less mileage and a notable loss in power.

At this point in time, we are a little lucky here in that while E fuels are available, non-E fuels are also (and more widely) still readily available.

#26 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:58 AM

...on the plus side, it does raise the octane rating  :shy:

#27 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:09 PM

Premium unleaded has to have a minimum octane rating of 95 RON.  Ethanol may increase the octane of the fuel but that will just enable the fuel companies to remove other components to keep the octane at the minimum requirement.

#28 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:33 PM

Octane is one of those things that's can be misleading. It's only related to the fuel's resistance to knocking, not an indication of the power that can be made from it.

#29 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 10:01 PM

2020 article https://www.rac.co.u...-it-affect-you/

It may cause some pre-detonation (‘pinking’), and perhaps a little rough running and poor cold starting, but it shouldn't be a disaster for the driver

Marvellous..

#30 T.Harper

T.Harper

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 10:27 PM

Just use a fuel stabiliser if you're storing petrol for more than a few weeks.  It's recommended for marine and garden machinery folk, and our carburetted minis aren't far more sophisticated than this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users