13 replies to this topic

#1 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 04:48 PM

national mini/metro show Gaydon...............................entry on the day £18.00    OUCH !

Cambridge chill mini/classic car weekend..................entry on the day  £2.00      (((:

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:49 PM

What show will have more and better quality cars?

#3 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 09:02 PM

Mini shows have been overpriced (and rising) for what you get for a while. With numbers going down, traders disappearing and prices rinsing, there plenty of cheaper non mini car shows and events offering a great deal more for cheaper entry prices (or even free).

The Gaydon one, if it wasn’t for the fact that there’s the museum, if there was 200 odd minis in a car park to look at for £18 it would be even less appealing.

#4 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 09:43 PM

The Gaydon one is at the actual museum where you have both the very first and last minis to run off of the production line.

#5 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,486 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 10:02 PM

The Gaydon one is at the actual museum where you have both the very first and last minis to run off of the production line.

Well I can understand the expense of the price if there is museum admission included.

You guys should try UK short oval racing... Spedeworth can be upto £45 just in entry for 7 hours racing if it's a big meeting, generally it's £15-25 entry at a non championship meeting...

#6 Raggedroy

Raggedroy

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 04 August 2019 - 10:20 AM

I was supprised at the doubling of the entry price for Cambridge Mini Chill.

#7 Chris M

Chris M

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 12:14 PM

This seems to be the same with most big car shows these days. I used to be in the Ford scene & the shows along with parts prices were just escalating.

#8 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 04 August 2019 - 01:03 PM

I always think the MCR day at Beaulieu is fair value. 

Did not realise the stock car meets were that expensive, explains why my neighbour takes all his mates in the lorry when he competes at the nationals. 

#9 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,486 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 09:55 AM

Did not realise the stock car meets were that expensive, explains why my neighbour takes all his mates in the lorry when he competes at the nationals.

Even then he'd only get the driver, and upto two mechanics in free, the rest of the party will pay full price on the gate

#10 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 07:56 PM

I think he is implying they hide in the back of the van and hence avoid paying!

Did not realise the stock car meets were that expensive, explains why my neighbour takes all his mates in the lorry when he competes at the nationals.

Even then he'd only get the driver, and upto two mechanics in free, the rest of the party will pay full price on the gate

#11 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 08:03 PM

Best show I go to now is the classics on maldon prom. It's free and it's packed. Real good family day out.

#12 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Local Club: northants wot no brakes

Posted 05 August 2019 - 08:58 PM

national mini/metro show Gaydon...............................entry on the day £18.00    OUCH !

Cambridge chill mini/classic car weekend..................entry on the day  £2.00      (((:

Agree that the on the day price is/was a bit stiff but.....

National min/metro show Gaydon advance entry  - one car (mini) driver and passenger £7 

The show, the museum and now a further building for seven quid for two people - bargain!

If anyone went in the further building I would venture to suggest it's pretty close equally or more interesting as the main museum (for a committed BL person like me anyway) with the first Maestro, the last Ital (marina), the last Allegro, the last Maxi, the last Montego, the last Rover 100 and some other BL experimental vehicles/concepts.

Guess I should come clean about my (Total BL) car history:

My dad had mini vans most of the time and one time a mini saloon and also an Austin 1100 (ADO16) and he built and ran a Scamp - I was chief spanner passer as a kid and learnt a fair bit of what I know from those days - no internet then......

First job worked with a mate whose first car was an Austin 1100 ADO16 (fitted 1275) - we went to Donnington mini25 show in it and then he/we decided it had to be minis.....

My best mate at the time had a 1275GT we went to Cardiff in a few times (from Northampton!) to see our mate at Uni there so also around 84

Played football with a drinking buddy who had several Marinas and my best man to be (also from the football team) had a Triumph Herald convertible 

Then for me/my family: 

-Minis (several, some driven, some not)

-Allegro (girlfriend/wife to be's first car - I was chief mechanic)

-Maxis (bought for scrap - those days you could sell the tyres and weigh the rest in and make a profit - I kept an HS6 carb which I am still using today.....)

-Metro turbo (first car I had that wasn't a mini....)

-Back to minis

Then we had to transport the kids.......

-MG Maestro 1600 E series engine (had suffered the well documented carb fire so always had a burnt patch on the bonnet)

-MG Maestro 1600 S series engine (the one with the talking dashboard!) - as I liked the first one

-Maestro 1600 HLS (this was a slug compared to the MG versions so......)

-MG Maestro 2 litre EFi (the most underrated car ever made by BL IMHO - handled so well and was quick but comfy and roomy) 

-Rover 827 Vitesse Sport Lux (200bhp Honda V6 N-A not the 2L turbo and with a Rover Sterling leather interior instead of Recaros - so comfortahhhhhhble.....)

Then I got a company car and it all went downhill as no Rovers on the list (mondeo2, passat3, insignia, A6 currently - all estates) 

but...

Metro Clubman 5 door (for the wife and kids now we could (just) afford two cars!!)

Rover 200 bubble (for the wife and kids - suffered HGF needless to say)

MG TF (for the wife when the kids didn't need a lift any more - didn't suffer HGF)

Another Rover 200 bubble for the kids to share until they all got their own cars (Roger RIP....)

Sorry dull ramble. :tumble:

#13 bangermadness08

bangermadness08

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 10:19 PM

Well I can understand the expense of the price if there is museum admission included.

You guys should try UK short oval racing... Spedeworth can be upto £45 just in entry for 7 hours racing if it's a big meeting, generally it's £15-25 entry at a non championship meeting...
Ahahahahaha I only do 2 meets a year now as with train prices taxi runs for just only me and a bacon roll 60£!!!! I dont mind for big meets but its unreal if I wanted to attend more meetings

#14 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 07 August 2019 - 12:28 PM

I doubt any of them pay, too far up the oval food chain for anybody to question him ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users